Brisket Question

Quadman750

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
ok here is the deal to remember with finishing temps the lower your pit temp is the longer the meat will be on and the lower the final internal temp will be.....at 225 185 is probably right....275 maybe 205 ish

Sorry for the dumb question but does this apply to a brisket as we'll. I have a 13.5lb brisket & will be
cooking it at 225* until done with no foil! just wondering what the finish temp should be.This was originally posted about a pork butt.

Last edited:

MattBPS

Quad,

Yes, this applies to brisket as well, but I usually never go by internal temp on brisket or butts.

I find you get the most consistent results with how it feels or the "probe tender" approach.

Use your thermapen to probe the meat (usually in the thickest part of the flat for brisket) when it slides in and out with no resistance, you should be good. It should feel similar to probing a warm stick of butter, keep cooking/practicing and sooner or later you will know exactly when something is finished just by the feel of it.

Hope this helps!

MattBPS

You can probe both if you'd like...usually one is done before the other...in my case for comps we trim the point down, so it ends up being a lot smaller than the flat. It all depends on what you are trying to do with the meat, if you want tender slices, probe the flat, I only worry about the point if I'm doing burnt ends. I usually separate the flat from the point once the flat is finished, it's a lot harder to "over cook" the point.

Quadman750

Well thanks a lot for the great info, I will maybe separate the flat from the point when the flat is done & throw the point back on

KGriller

Ah ha and there is the answer.
I have cooked several pork butts and always take them until they are touch tender. They just fall apart..........BUT I just did my first beef brisket and while the flavor was awesome the texture "Double Suck" Sucked. I read in several places that you should take it to 190 degrees so that is where I pulled the brisket off but it was a total fail. Gonna throw it in the crockpot tomorrow to finish out. Lesson learned and will do better next time.

Top Bottom