Brisket Question

Quadman750

Usually you would foil a brisket at about 150° Internal temp, now my question is if I like a darker bark can I foil at a higher internal temp? Say 170° or 180° or is this a bad idea & why?

Quadman750

Just don't wrap at all. You'll get all the bark you can handle.
You are right Meat Man, I've done a 20hr low & slow unwrapped, but was wondering about wrapping at a temp of 170° or 180°.Is there any advantage besides cook time being shorter.

Last edited:

Meat Man

There are several different ways to wrap and I agree with BP. The number one reason I wrap is to help keep our brisket more moist. You can just pan you brisket on a rack add a small amount of moisture and cover your pan with foil. This works really well. You can also use paper to wrap your brisket. These two techniques should help keep your bark a little more crunchy.

Quadman750

Thanks guys, I was looking for a brisket with more bark & more moisture at the same time. This method sounds like it will work, I will wrap @ 170° or 180°. I have no butcher paper so I will use foil.

I see most people foil at 150°, is this the magic number for the most moisture in your meet from 150° to 203°-205°

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
its all personal preference.....This gives me a chance to remind you guys that with bbq unlike lets say steak....Its looks first feel second...internal temp of the meat is just a thirdreassurance...>So before I get jumped on let me explain:

Looks...That refers to when you foil. SO many things affect the color of your meat....smoke source...seasoning....PH....SO foil at the color you like.

Internal temp of the meat.....You are rendering the toughest cuts of the animal in most cases. Unlike steak that 135 is 135 and thats how you like your steak,,,with brisket it is when the cow gives up...when it pops....To just think of internal temp as your main guide doesnt work. Here are just some of the factors involved....The lower your cook temp, the lower the finished brisket IT will be. The hotter the higher....As an example only and not exact but if you cooked at 185 and let it go for 20 hours it will be done at 185....WHen I am cooking in comp at 275 or 300 sometimes the brisket is not done until 214.

WIth brisket and butts remember it's about feel first.....that probe of spear or whatever you use needs to slide through the meat. In that subject the higher temp you cook at the more aware of the residual cook on....the meat will continue to cook itself...the utside is hotter and will move to the inside. This is why to factor in the amount and conditions you will rest the meat. If you slap it right away in a cooler or cambro you will have to pull it a little bit earlier...So consider this stuff for best table side or judging table results.

I mentioned rest...so very important but I am not one that thinks any meat needs to rest for 4 hours....I try to time my stuff for between a 45 minute to 1.5 hour rest when competing. At home it is a half hour max.

Cysco

Most people foil at 150 because that's the temp that the "stall" happens if I'm not mistaken. The Stall is the period of time where the sweating of the moisture from the meat essentially counter acts the heat in the smoker. This causes the internal temp of the meat to stay the same or really slow down for a long time.

Wrapping the brisket at 150 allows it to power through the stall and not dry out. There are things you can do such as inject the brisket and include a water tray. I've heard some just turn up the temp at 150 and then turn it back down at 170.

Best thing to do is experiment. See what it's like for you to not wrap. I'm sure a number of the veterans will have tons of thoughts on this topic

sptucker

I've done briskets with and without foil over the years, and for me foil makes a huge difference in moisture content of the final product, but definitely negatively impacts the consistency of the bark (as expected), by making it soggier. Once the fat starts rendering/melting, I like to contain it in foil where it can bathe the meat. If you keep your meat wrapped tightly, these juices even wind up on top of the meat. There is usually upwards of a full cup of this liquid. I HAVE to believe this helps with moisture retention.

If I don't wrap, this cup of juice winds up running out the bottom of my smoker and into the bucket. Juice in the bucket is definitely -not- helping with moisture retention, but the meat does have a better bark.

I prefer juicy over barky, so nowadays I always wrap brisket around 145-150. I guess wrapping at 180 is better than not at all, but I think by that point it may be too late to have juicy AND barky, unless you have a particularly well-marbled cut.

I have absolutely zero competition experience, so take my inputs with a grain of salt...

Top Bottom