Burgers and hot dogs?

TrickyDick

Ok, so sounds like a simple question, but when grilling burgers and dogs, what tricks do you employ to avoid grease fires and flare ups? Especially if cooking for a crowd with lots of people.

As it turns out, the flame zone is sure to result in flames from my experience, and last night I had some big ones. Splash some water to douse the flames. Maybe needed 2-3 oz of water. Used the sink and cupped my hands a couple times, since I didn't have a spray bottle.

TD

So Cal Smoker

Use 87/13 Hamburger meat and cook on Grill Grates. I find the hamburger at Costco very good and I'd be lost without my Grill Grates.

RickB

Grill grates will take care of the problem. I usually invert them for burgers and I have never had a flair-up. I like the crusty sear you get when you invert them.

TrickyDick

I got the sear great just a week ago or so. Its different on the four star than the grill grates you guys are using, extremely different in fact. Haven't used it yet. I wonder if Big Poppa has a "grill grate" spec'd out for the four star available on his store. Need to check.

scooter

Agree with the others, Grill Grates and like Rick said, inverted will give you more of a griddle type cooking surface.

TrickyDick

My sear grate isn't the same as y'all have. Dang. I guess I'll just use my cast iron griddle/grill plate on top of the regular grate next time I do burgers. I've never had a grease flare up like that and was kinda freaked out and unprepared to extinguish.

Top Bottom