CarterQ is the Judge! July 22...Bring it on!

squirtthecat

Trying to channel Some Pacific NW weather this morning...

IMGP4255.JPG

#4 is done. I will get more molasses, as it produces a much nicer bark than this garlic oil I used. (I was hot, tired and just plain lazy)

IMGP4258.JPG

Foiled up tight and in the house oven on 'low'.

--

Stick A Fork In The Pork........ We are done.

42.2 pounds of peppery pork love. Weighed and labeled.

IMGP4269.JPG

Fridge is happy!

IMGP4267.JPG

Time for a pastrami sandwich..... :cool:

Deb

Pesto chicken sandwich with ww Focaccia

Baked some focaccia this morning - used Annie's Roasted Garlic Olive Oil in the dough , on the bottom of the dough and on the top of the focaccia, topped simply with salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, the oil and shredded parmesan.

slathered a few chicken breasts with pesto, into the pellet grill with a red pepper that was roasting
photo-34.jpg

Dinner - focaccia, lettuce/spinach, tomato, the pesto chicken, roasted red pepper and a little fresh mozz
photo-35.jpg

I was flipping through an ice cream cookbook one day and there was a recipe for roasted banana ice cream.....hmmm......
So...... last night when I was cooking some burgers I cut up some bananas , tossed with some brown sugar and threw in the grill to roast..

photo-25-2.jpg

today I blended them up with some whole milk (it's what the recipe called for, some cream will be added next time), a little more brown sugar (I think I would just add this when roasting the bananas next time), vanilla, salt & lemon juice. Into the fridge to chill. While it was chilling I whipped up a quick chocolate sauce using king arthur double dutch cocoa and some ghiradelli semisweet chocolate . The banana mix into the ice cream maker and after awhile I ended up with this.....

photo-24-4.jpg

Last edited:

Susan

Fab Flanker

07-24-2011007.jpg

I mixed up a marinade with these goodies and put the flank steak into a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge to get happy while I kayaked with lots of dogs and their humans. Took the flank steak out of the marinade, dusted it with BP’s Double Secret Steak Rub, brought it to room temperature and then on to the fire.

07-24-2011011.jpg

Grilling nicely with a foil packet of hickory pellets.

07-24-2011015.jpg

The meat rested while I made a salad and then I sliced it nice and thin for serving.

07-24-2011019.jpg

Plated with a simple salad of fresh Romaine lettuce, a tomato picked right from my garden and dressed with a homemade bleu cheese dressing made with sour cream, juice of half a lime and honey and crumbled Danish Bleu. The steak was wonderfully seasoned with a nice combination of sweet and a touch of heat. I’m very happy there are left overs.
Thanks for looking

smoker pete

Signal Light Apple Smoked Stuffed Peppers

Green Light!! ... Red Light!! ... Have played that game countless times with my Grandchildren and it inspired me to do something different with my Stuffed Pepper recipe. With all those wonderful peppers in glorious colors and flavors I decided to let them work for me. Picked up some Green, Yellow, and Red Peppers and here's the results.

Cored the Peppers keeping the lids for the stuffing. Parboiled the Peppers for 5 minutes and set them aside to cool.

Peppers1.jpg

Cooked up some Hamburger, Onions, Green/Yellow/Red Pepper lids, and another Green Pepper with some Garlic and seasonings.

Peppers2.jpg

Mixed the Hamburger with cooked Rice and Tomato Sauce.

Peppers3.jpg

Stuffed the mixture into the Peppers and topped them off with a spoonful of Tomato Sauce.

Peppers4.jpg

Pre-heated the MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill using Apple pellets. SETPOINT to SMOKE for 45 minutes and then bumped the temperature to 350ºF for another 45 minutes.

Peppers5.jpg

The money $shot ... Signal Light Apple Smoked Peppers with a side of Green Beans ... Bon Appétit ... Green Light!! ... Red Light!! If it's Yellow, step on it!!

Peppers6.jpg

squirtthecat

This heat is Jamaican Me Crazy...

:D

IMGP4283.JPG

IMGP4284.JPG

Cue the sucky spinny tumbler-ma-thingy..

IMGP4286.JPG

On the still-hot Traeger at 300°.

IMGP4287.JPG

Done.

IMGP4289.JPG

Oh yeah...

IMGP4290.JPG

Had a bit of steamed sweet corn with it. (not picture worthy)

And something cool/refreshing for desert..

IMGP4296.JPG

TentHunter

Candy Apple Ribs

I've been wanting to play around with this idea for a while. Ribs with a cinnamon & apple flavor profile glazed with a Cinnamon Candy BBQ Sauce.

I hit some Spare Ribs with some homemade rub & Cinnamon. Filled my cast iron smoking pot with apple pellets and put both on the grill along with a red pepper to roast.
CARIBS01.JPG

Later the pepper was flipped and some thick sliced bacon was put on to smoke.
CARIBS02.JPG

Ready to foil with some Apple sauce, Honey, more cinnamon & a small amount of beer for liquid.
CARIBS03.JPG

A cup of homemade Honey BBQ Sauce, Apple Juice, more cinnamon & 1/4 cup cinnamon candies were placed in a pan and simmered into a glaze.
CARIBS04.JPG

Glazing the Ribs...
CARIBS05.JPG

The Bacon & Roasted Red Pepper were added to some Potato salad.
CARIBS06.JPG

Served with the Potato Salad and some sweet corn.
CARIBS07.JPG

The Glaze combined with the layer of apple sauce definitely gave it that Candy Apple flavor but was balanced nicely by the tangy Honey BBQ sauce to keep it from being too sweet. They were delicious...

...and very sticky! :)

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

TentHunter

Smoked Sausage & Cheddar Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

The Filling: a pound of fresh homemade Kielbasa, 1/4 lb. Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup minced onion, 1 cup of cooked rice. This makes enough for 12 Cabbage Rolls.
CWCR01.JPG

Place the filling in a blanched cabbage leaf and roll.
CWCR02.JPG
CWCR03.JPG

The Cabbage rolls were place in a baking dish and topped with butter & black pepper. A pouch of hickory pellets for smoke.
CWCR04.JPG

Put on at about 325-350° for about an hour until the internal temp reached 165°.
CWCR05.JPG

CWCR07.JPG

They were juicy, nicely smoky and full of flavor.
CWCR06.JPG

Patrick_CT

I need to stop looking at this site in the morning... It is 7:45 on the East Coast and I am starving! These are some incredible cooks! Roasted banana ice cream... that is awesome!

SisInLaw

Shameless $5 credit entry:

Last Thursday I left town for a trip until Sunday night and Daughter #3 was going to feed/walk the dog, water the flowers, etc etc. What do kids want most? Money and food. So I left her gas money, baked a loaf of homemade bread, baked her favorite homemade Snickerdoodle cookies and (natch) smoked her up a nice tri tip. She loved it all, ate everything and I don't think she shared with anyone. The tri tip was pulled at 141 degrees and left to rest. I didn't get a plated pic because it was a present.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

CarterQ

Alright, sorry this is so late, but it was just a classic Monday (not in a good way!)

Another great week of wonderful creative cooks, I'll do a quick run down before the drumroll-

Sparky's SOW & DG Shrimp, That looked great buddy, I love that SOW Marinade and with the Desert Gold I'm sure it was Killer. Pretty hard to beat shrimp on stick and on the pellet cooker it comes out great. Love that disappearing skewer to check for doneness, gotta have good quality control!

Bflodan's Buffalo Chicken Salad - This was a great looking meal, loved the homemade blue cheese dressing and the buffalo style chicken. A great simple salad. You were shooting for light and refreshing and it looks like you hit the mark.

Patrick_CT, One of my favorite things is fresh trout right over the campfire. Your trout stirred up some good memories of fresh fish and great times, that trout looked great. Loved that pork loin too, wow that was some beautiful color, sounds like your guests are really enjoying the benefits of your MAK ownership!

Squirt, your pork shoulder cooks are always an adventure and this did not disappoint. Great story walking us through the day, I loved how you turned the Ultimate Driving Machine into the Ultimate Cambro! Your friends MIL definitely got a great meal for the big 8-0! Also that pork loin looked great too, loved the Jamaican vibe going on there, if it tasted anything like it looked, you nailed it!

Deb, man I love your creativity when you cook and you did not disappoint with your pesto chicken sandwich! Loved that fresh focaccia bread and the pesto chicken with fresh mozzarella and the roasted pepper. Beautiful fresh sandwich! Roasted banana ice cream, man I loved where you were going with that, looks like you want to tweak it but from here it was a great idea and looked delicious!

Susan- Flank steak is always a tricky cut to get just right but it looks like you have it dialed in, that marinade sounded delicious and you cooked it perfectly. Paired with a fresh salad and homemade dressing that looked great. Nothing simple about that plate!

Pete- Stuffed peppers were one of my Dad's go to dishes on the dutch oven and they hold a special place in my heart. Yours looked fabulous and the mix of colors was beautiful. Great looking meal!

Tent - I love how you are always playing with your food and this week was no exception! Can't say i ever would have thought about the flavor combinations you put on those ribs, Red Hots in the glaze?, but man I definitely want to try them. Outside the box and inside the zone! Just when I thought it was safe you drop off the sausage stuffed cabbage, another great idea! Those looked good, definitely an idea I want to borrow, sounds like a great finger food!

SIL, I'm sucker for tri tips but unfortunately the contest entry deadline is midnight on Sunday. No worries though, by the looks of that tri tip it was a winner when it got sliced!

OK it's late and I have rambled enough so here you go-

3rd - Sparky's Shrimp

2nd - Deb's Pesto Chicken Sandwich and Roasted Banana ice cream

1st - Tent's Apple cinnamon ribs and stuffed cabbage

Again, thanks to everyone who entered you make this forum great with your creativeness and passion for great food!

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

Congrats to all the winners!! And thanks for the kind works Carter!.... what to cook this week (after the MAK is cleaned that is).. hmmmmmm

TentHunter

Wow, Thanks & congrats to everyone, but I think I'd trade first place for a big bowlful of Deb's Roasted Banana Ice Cream. The way this contest keeps going I'm going to need it after sitting in the hot seat next week! ;)

Thanks for judging CarterQ, It really is tough with so many great entries. Thanks Big Poppa for hosting this week after week.

Mmmmm... Smoked trout. I have some Rainbows in the freezer, I may have to pull 'em out and smoke 'em up!

#4 is done. I will get more molasses, as it produces a much nicer bark than this garlic oil I used. (I was hot, tired and just plain lazy)

Brother, it's tough cooking in all this heat. I bet all your sweat and hard work will be appreciated when folks sink their teeth into that pulled pork!

sparky

thanks carter and BP for everything. congrats to everyone. i like this. because we are from all different areas and different ages we all have our own tastes. thats the fun part. seeing what everyone cooks every week on all different types of Q's. very cool ppl. :cool:

Deb

congrats everyone! Thanks Carter & BP!

the ice cream is a work in progress, I think I'll make it mine next time, I did it as written and that doesn't always work ;), not that everything I make mine works either:eek:

SisInLaw

Congrats to everybody! Delicious looking food throughout this thread, as always. I'll try harder next time. I have a question for anybody reading. Can a STUFFED turkey be smoked as well as an unstuffed one?

Rip

Congrats to Cliff, Deb, and Sparky! Great cooks by all who entered. Thanks for the contest BP!

Top Bottom