Chuck Roast, How do I love thee?

Darwin00537

These were smoked (Mak smoke setting) for 45 minutes or so then cooked at 275 for the smoke phase and the crutch phase until they hit 205 IT. I then brought the cooker temp down to 205 while I waited for the connective tissue to give up the ghost and the meat to get probe tender. The meat was around 210 IT when I finally took it off. I didn't rest it. I went right to pulling.

Before the pics, many thanks to TentHunter for the tips that made this cook a success:cool::cool::cool:

Now, on to the cook. 6 Lbs of choice angus chuck roast... I coated them with EVOO then rubbed with modified Big Bad Beef Rub. I used ancho and chipotle where options are given and added a 1/4 tsp of cumin for that authentic Texas flavor.

Remembered the water pan. Woohoo! (Hey, it's the little things)

This is a couple of hours in. Things are looking good.

Crutched with sliced onions and a few leaves of tarragon

Done! Probe went in like it was warm butter. I could barely tell when the probe tip hit the meat. The onions and tarragon were removed and set off to the side. I added them only for flavor during the crutch.

Will it pull? Yes, it will!

All I can say is WOW. This will now be a regular cook at the Parrish Manor. The taste reminded me of brisket from Rudy's. (Rudy's is a top notch BBQ joint that originated in San Antonio. I used to live 15 minutes from their original restaurant).

Last edited:

TentHunter

Out of the park, my BBQ brother!

So, did you try it on a bun with some BBQ sauce or tiger sauce?

I'm gonna have to try a little tarragon next time I do one!

Last edited:

Darwin00537

Out of the park, my BBQ brother!

So, did you try it on a bun with some BBQ sauce or tiger sauce?

I'm gonna have to try a little tarragon next time I do one!

The tarragon really does put a nice little extra flavor in the profile, especially with your onion technique I adopted:cool:. It's very minor and hides a little in the background. Now I realize I misspelled tarragon. I'll have to go fix that.

I did serve with buns and BBQ sauce but I had so many things going on with cooking two pork butts that I ran out of time for the tiger sauce. Regardless, the chuck roast and the pork were both big hits. It's hard to tell which one was the crowd favorite but I'm going to give the nod to the chuck roast. It went REALLY quick and the crock pot was scraped clean. There was a LOT more of the pork but it was mostly gone by the end of the night as well.

That meat looks great. I saw the butts too and it looks like you had a great party. Nobody on here cares if you misspell tarragon either.
Sometimes we get in a hurry to tell someone how great their food looks, that we hit enter and it's too late. No biggie.
Just keep posting those cooks. They look great!

Darwin00537

That meat looks great. I saw the butts too and it looks like you had a great party. Nobody on here cares if you misspell tarragon either.
Sometimes we get in a hurry to tell someone how great their food looks, that we hit enter and it's too late. No biggie.
Just keep posting those cooks. They look great!

Thank you sir. I'll certainly keep posting:cool:

Let's see some of your cooks!

Top Bottom