Cold smoking rib eyes?

JimmyDings

Greetings all:

I gave a question, I would appreciate opinions with regards to cold smoking ribeye steaks and then finishing off with higher temps.

Any ideas? Or is it not a good practice?
Ideas on how long to cold smoke? I was thinking hickory pellets and cold smoking for approx 1/2 to 1 hours then running up the temp and searing each side to finish.

New to all of this, so guidance would be appreciated
Thanks, Jim aka JimmyDings

squirtthecat

Sounds like a plan! I don't have the warming box on my 1 Star, but I've cold smoked steaks in my Bradley electric smoker for a couple hours, then tossed on the MAK to finish them off.

They are even better if you cold smoke, then wrap tight and toss in the fridge for a day or so. Then cook.

The smoke flavor really has time to penetrate then..

FLBentRider

I have done it with about an hour and a half in the warming area on the 2 star, then set it to HIGH and did the reverse sear.

They were excellent.

I think the post is in the gallery.

I have also done them in my non-pellet smoker and wrapped in plastic and then grilled a few days later. Excellent as well.

sparky

i have never cold smoked steaks before. i could see how that would be good. more FT time i guess. i really just like to cook at 295 and let them cook on my grill grates. i love my GRILL GRATES.

RickB

i have never cold smoked steaks before. i could see how that would be good. more FT time i guess. i really just like to cook at 295 and let them cook on my grill grates. i love my GRILL GRATES.

Do you get a good sear and marking at that low a temp?

JimmyDings

Cold smoking on the Mak 2 Star

Greetings all:

This is Sunday and is usually a special day for cooking. So I decided to treat the family to Ribeyes.

I cold smoked 5 Ribeyes on the 2 Star using Mesquite pellets for 2 hours and then had to transfer to the gasser to sear and finish. I know it's not a true Mak cook, but felt the need to have to post this........All I can say is WOW!

I've never had Mesquite smoked Steak before and it was probally thee best steak I've ever had!

Flavor Flavor Flavor, and doing the reverse sear ON THE GRILL GRATES.......well all I can say is that it was the Cat's Azz......hehehe.

I'll post pics in the Gallery, and a big Thanks to the people who assisted with their input.

Best Wishes, JimmyDings

Last edited:

r2b

I'm a firm believer in cold smoking them rib eye's, I usually go 1 hour with mesquite, (i buy about 10 steaks), then to the fridge or freezer. If in the fridge, a couple of days max. then on to a hot grill, with smoke if possible, sear for 2-3 minutes on first side, flip over, reduce heat to 250/300 f turn and flip two more times (in quarter turns for the grill marks) in the next hour cooking with smoke and when the final turn and flip is completed on goes the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Prior to the first cold smoke I will rub with anything but SALT. That is how I achieve a mouth watering rib eye.

Big Poppa

Administrator
be careful with the cold smoking...the temp of the meat can sit in the 'danger zone' for bacteria...you will get much the same result and a quicker safer cook at 225 to about 125 then pull and crank up the mak and sear to finish

Top Bottom