Cold weather flameout...help!

Bithlord

So it's mid 20's out. And I'm getting constant flameouts. Was hoping to smoke a brisket for today, but that got axed last night and it's been in the oven since last night. I still have a big pile of sausage to cook though...

Any suggestions on how to stop the flameouts? I'm completely at a loss for the cause. Cleaned it last week, got it all set, then... This. I'm assuming bits the weather, but... I've done it in the cold before.

TentHunter

Is it during the ignition sequence when you're getting the flameouts, or is it lighting, working for a while then going out?

> If the pellets aren't igniting, then your ignitor may have burned out, in which case you can light them manually with a torch until you get a replacement ignitor rod.

> If it's igniting then going out later, make sure your pellets are dry. If they've picked up moisture they can have a hard time staying lit.

I've had both scenarios happen to me.

I wish I could be of more help, especially on a holiday.

AN89AG

Is it during the ignition sequence when you're getting the flameouts, or is it lighting, working for a while then going out?

> If it's igniting then going out later, make sure your pellets are dry. If they've picked up moisture they can have a hard time staying lit.

+1 for this one. I am in Oregon, and I don't use a cover. I noted a couple times where smoke started and then next thing I know is the temp is back to 50F . I think my pellets were "solidifying" in the auger, causing it to stop and allowing the fire to go out. I have also had the opposite, where a "slug" of solidifying pellet dust hit the fire pot...with impressive results!

An easy way to check, without completely taking stuff apart, was to drain the pellets and look at the auger for the pellet cement (view either through the dump door and/or through the pellet box). If present, you might be able to clean out most of the solid debris with a screwdriver and vacuum. Otherwise, Google instructions on how to "officially" clean out the auger.

Top Bottom