Cole Slaw Recipes... I need to try new Slaw Recipe for Pulled Port

RGrunz

Cole Slaw Recipes... I need to try new Slaw Recipe for Pulled Pork

I am not happy with my cole slaw recipes. I know there are a lot of great cooks in this forum. I have tweaked my pulled pork until I think it is consistently competition quality. (hope that's not too immodest); Now I need to elevate my pulled pork sandwiches with a world class cole slaw recipe. BTW, I serve my pulled pork with Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce, so it's got a nice little heat to it and just the right vinegar taste to complement pulled pork.

My basic go-to cole slaw recipe is from The Bookville Hotel in Abilene, Kansas. It is quite interesting as a side cole slaw. This is a very interesting recipe and is great to serve as a side only with any BBQ. But it is not suitable for topping pulled pork sandwiches.

Brookville Hotel Sweet & Sour Coleslaw

Ingredients
• 1 1/2 lbs shredded green cabbage
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup vinegar
• 1 cup whipping cream

Directions
1. Cover shredded cabbage and refrigerate (salt before refrigerating) several hours or until well chilled.
2. 30 min before serving time, mix ingredients in order given.
3. Chill and serve.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I avoid adding salt to slaw dressing because it pulls water out of the cabbage and can make it soupy.

I'm at work, so I'm going from memory, but here's what I use for Slaw dressing:

2/3 - 1 cup Mayo
1/4 cup Vinegar
2 tsp. Plain Yellow Mustard
2 - 4 TBS. Sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
1/2 tsp. Sweet Paprika
1/2 tsp. Fresh ground Black Pepper (to taste)

Wisk all ingredients together and toss with the cabbage (and carrot if using it).

You can adjust the ingredients to taste. It's simple, sweet & tangy. I also use a double batch of this for Macaroni Salad or Mix in some sour cream for an easy dressing for Potato Salad.

Deb

mine is similar to Tent's - I don't measure, just taste as I go - mayo, vinegar, sugar, celery seed I just mix to taste

LTS

this is the one I use all the time and I have had a a lot of good comments on it

1 head green cabbage, cored and shredded (you can use the pre packaged I do )
2 medium-size carrots, peeled and grated
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely diced
2 tablespoons onions, grated
2 cups prepared mayonnaise
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dijon-style mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:

1 Place cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion into a large bowl. Set aside.
2 In another bowl, mix together all of the remaining ingredients.
3 Pour over the vegetables and toss well to combine. Cover and refridge for a while
4 Stir again before serving.

LTS

sparky

i use whatever my wife makes. its good too. i am not a cook. i just turn my mak on and put stuff in them. my part is easy. :)

Top Bottom