Comp ribs off the 2 Star!!

Matt Dalton

I cooked these ribs for a party awhile back..I think I showed these pics to BP already but I wanted to show the rest of you guys what kind of color and look judges look for in ribs..the rub was plowboys yardbird and another rub mixed..set to smoke for an hour then ramped up to 275 for another 3 hrs..foiled at color(the first two pics)with our special schmear..then another 35-40 min until done.cherry BBQ'ers Delight pellets

5236fcf5.jpg

look at the back of these!.judges like to see even color all the way around
115cf9ed.jpg

sauced back on for 10 min to set
96b42f2d.jpg

done and ready to slice..sorry I didn't get and pics of them cut they were gone as fast as I cut..trust me though they were juice as can be and had a great smoke ring!
0072c908.jpg

sparky

wow, i have cooked a rib or two in my time and those are outstanding. excellent color to them. nice job.

Matt Dalton

Thx Spark!..and coming from the rib master himself..thanks..and you my friend have cooked more different styles of ribs then I've ever seen one person cook on all of the forums combined!..love us some ribs!..these were just how we do it at a comp and last time out we took 3rd at Havasu(tied with BPS and won the tiebreaker)..they do taste as good as they look too

Matt Dalton

Here is how they look going to the tent..now these are from a whole different cook but you see what I'm talking about on the color and look..5 on top 5 on the bottom..yes 10 bones for six judges..I think like this..,imagine being at lets say a wing joint..you order 6 wings for 6 people well the last guy gets the little shitty one..not saying i put bad bones in the box but when judge 6 gets my box he still has 5 bones to chose from

dbd6137f.jpg

sparky

care to explain schmear? buddy.....and how thick did you put the rub on? what? i can ask? those are some of the nicest lookin ribs i have every seem. i can learn too. :cool:

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
spark when a comp team uses words like special schmear that is their secret mojo...you never ask...if they volunteer...like he told us it was plowboys....and another...that another is their hook.

What you should do is think abou tthe different things you have seen and really try like some plowboys with smokin guns hot...or rib tickler and cook at his temps and times that he is giving you..

MATT YOU WOULD MENTION BUMPING US DOWN TO 4th! hahahahaah

Matt you guys are falling in love with the MAK.....I can tell

ACW3

Matt,
Those are some dynamite looking ribs! At some of the KCBS contests I have judged, we haven't seen many ribs like those. I wish we would. That is some of the nicest "eye-caqndy" I have seen in a while.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
I know you mentioned it...I hate ties too! I was joking with you good showing in havasu our chicken killed us....I still dont know why it scored so low....

BBQ Joe

Matt, those ribs look great. I am getting ready to fire up the 2 star for 8 racks for our boys trip to northern WI snowmobiling. I use Plowboys too. Hope mine will look close to yours!

sparky

spark when a comp team uses words like special schmear that is their secret mojo...you never ask...if they volunteer...like he told us it was plowboys....and another...that another is their hook.

What you should do is think abou tthe different things you have seen and really try like some plowboys with smokin guns hot...or rib tickler and cook at his temps and times that he is giving you

sorry, i meant no harm here. just trying to learn. my bad....:(

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
no no no spark I was educating you and I see that Matt pmmed you...he doesnt know that I can see all the pms...HAHAHAHAAH BUt I didnt look...seriously.

Top Bottom