1mak3076.jpg

1mak3082.jpg

lastpics007.jpg

lastpics008.jpg

lastpics010.jpg

lastpics031.jpg

lastpics033.jpg

lastpics101.jpg

simple a fantastic cook. the flavors were off the chart. 2 thumbs up garth.

Last edited:

RickB

A sunday supper.Lets get a rib roast going.
IMG_1285.jpg

Onto the mak with a couple of spuds
IMG_1289.jpg

Blanch some asparagus
IMG_1294.jpg

Cooked a little Aujus
IMG_1290.jpg

Roast and aujus done.
IMG_1301.jpg

Double cooked spuds and asparagus to the mak
IMG_1303.jpg

It's all good. Enjoy!

IMG_1306.jpg

RickB

Ok just to make it easy for the judge...

Friday night..Some comp ribs!

IMG_1255.jpg

Saturday some pre dinner nosh.

IMG_1283.jpg

Sunday Dinner

IMG_1305.jpg

Deb

MAK Sundae and Apple Tart w/ Bourbon Caramel Sauce

So, this morning I said to my husband – Susan is coming over, we are going for a walk with the dogs and then we are going to play with food…. I don’t think he believed me………….. backstory......back in the fall I was looking at a CT turkey farm website , they have a café and the Gobbler Sundae caught my eye. I sent Susan a link and she wrote back that I needed to do it as a contest entry with Thanksgiving leftovers……….that didn’t happen…… I was talking with her the other day and I told her I had no idea what I was cooking this weekend…….. she said “gobbler sundae” , She's been waiting patiently, she knew I'd invite her over when I finally made it ....... so here is my take on it...... the MAK Sundae!

Yesterday I spatchcocked an 11 lb turkey, rubbed it all down with a paste I made in the food processor – shallots, garlic, thyme, sage, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil…… to the top rack of the MAk……

photo-78-1.jpg

This morning I threw all the bones into a pot with some carrots, celery, onions, , garlic, thyme, sage, parsley, salt, pepper for stock to use as a base for gravy. While that was getting happy made some mashed potatoes, took some cran-blueberry sauce out of the freezer………

photo-81-1.jpg

Then we made a sundae……… mashed potato, turkey , gravy & cran-blueberry sauce

DSC06147.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

Apple tart – I made a Bourbon caramel sauce – butter & brown sugar into a pan, cook until sugar dissolved, add some cream and then some bourbon – easy, easy & tasty

photo-82-1.jpg

Made a cream cheese pastry dough and rolled into a circle, spread a layer of the bourbon sauce, sliced up some apples, sprinkled on some cinnamon , then more of the bourbon sauce. Crunched up the sides into a free form tart and into the MAK

DSCN3166.jpg

photo-85.jpg

Plated with more Bourbon Caramel Sauce and some whipped Cream and some brittle (some of the sauce escaped while cooking and became bourbon caramel brittle, yum)
DSC06154.jpg

Enjoy

P.S. to the SEGA smokeout people - this sauce will be served with the cheesecake

RickB

MAK Sundae and Apple Tart w/ Bourbon Caramel Sauce

So, this morning I said to my husband – Susan is coming over, we are going for a walk with the dogs and then we are going to play with food…. I don’t think he believed me………….. backstory......back in the fall I was looking at a CT turkey farm website , they have a café and the Gobbler Sundae caught my eye. I sent Susan a link and she wrote back that I needed to do it as a contest entry with Thanksgiving leftovers……….that didn’t happen…… I was talking with her the other day and I told her I had no idea what I was cooking this weekend…….. she said “gobbler sundae” , She's been waiting patiently, she knew I'd invite her over when I finally made it ....... so here is my take on it...... the MAK Sundae!

Yesterday I spatchcocked an 11 lb turkey, rubbed it all down with a paste I made in the food processor – shallots, garlic, thyme, sage, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil…… to the top rack of the MAk……

photo-78-1.jpg

This morning I threw all the bones into a pot with some carrots, celery, onions, , garlic, thyme, sage, parsley, salt, pepper for stock to use as a base for gravy. While that was getting happy made some mashed potatoes, took some cran-blueberry sauce out of the freezer………

photo-81-1.jpg

Then we made a sundae……… mashed potato, turkey , gravy & cran-blueberry sauce

DSC06147.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

Apple tart – I made a Bourbon caramel sauce – butter & brown sugar into a pan, cook until sugar dissolved, add some cream and then some bourbon – easy, easy & tasty

photo-82-1.jpg

Made a cream cheese pastry dough and rolled into a circle, spread a layer of the bourbon sauce, sliced up some apples, sprinkled on some cinnamon , then more of the bourbon sauce. Crunched up the sides into a free form tart and into the MAK

DSCN3166.jpg

photo-85.jpg

Plated with more Bourbon Caramel Sauce and some whipped Cream and some brittle (some of the sauce escaped while cooking and became bourbon caramel brittle, yum)
DSC06154.jpg

Enjoy

P.S. to the SEGA smokeout people - this sauce will be served with the cheesecake

That Turkey sundae is out of the box ! Girl that just took the contest! My wife thought it was ice cream. Can't wait to taste the desert at sega.

Rip

Buffalo Chicken Rolls

Always looking for new ways to cook chicken. Today we tried Buffalo Chicken Rolls with a healthy spinach salad.

First up was the homemade salad dressing, here's the ingredients. In keeping with Sparky's pirate theme, we used some Pirate's Bite seasoning. In the dishes are chopped cilantro and garlic.
IMG_2822sm.jpg

While the salad dressing got happy, I prepped a whole chicken. If you have pirates, you gotta have a boat, even if it's blue foam. Only the chicken breast will be used for the buffalo rolls, (the rest will get eaten), I prefer chicken breasts cooked on the bone.
IMG_2823sm.jpg

On to the MAK for 30 minutes of smoke, then 275 until IT150, then up to 325 until IT165.
IMG_2825sm.jpg

Here's the buffalo fixings (minus the egg roll wraps and shredded cabbage). My wife wanted bleu cheese in hers, mine will have shredded smoked jalapeño cheddar.
IMG_2830sm.jpg

Smoked then ground cayenne and habanero mix was added to the trappeys, the chicken breast was shredded and then tossed with the hot sauce. Then on to the egg roll, a layer of cabbage mix, chicken, and bleu cheese topping.
IMG_2831sm.jpg

Here's one with the shredded cheddar.
IMG_2833sm.jpg

Wrap it up, seal with a little water on the end, and then spritz with cooking oil.
IMG_2835sm.jpg

On to the MAK at 400 for about 10 minutes.
IMG_2837sm.jpg

Here's the plated shot, these are the cheddar ones. The spinach salad has avocado, mandarin oranges, and chopped pecans.
IMG_2839sm.jpg

The homemade dressing complimented the salad well and was very tasty! The buffalo rolls were awesome and we both preferred the cheddar ones. The wraps were crispy, much like fried ones, but much healthier. All in all a fairly healthy meal. We will be doing both the dressing and the buffalo rolls again! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

It has been a while since I have posted any cooks... time to get back in the game..

Made some smoked almonds (6 lbs)m three different ways, one with sweet candyish using hot squeeze and sea salt, the next with soulieau and hot salt, and the last my own pepper mix that is really hot for the more brave. The office loves these. (2 hours on cold smoke then into the warm section for a while.
IMG_0214.jpg

Now dinner for my inlays was ribs, beans, quinoa and cauliflower

beans:
IMG_0218.jpg

finished:
IMG_0219.jpg

Ribs:
IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Plated (without the beans, oops)
IMG_0310.jpg

Last edited:

CarterQ

Satay Chicken and Veggies

Was in the mood for a little Thai flavor tonight so we did some satay chicken and grilled veggies.

Started with the Satay.

Shallots, garlic, fresh lemon grass, fresh ginger, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper

90085991.jpg

Added dark soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar

ac093d23.jpg

Mixed it up with the food processor

5e4f81f4.jpg

Cubed up some chicken thighs

88ba7310.jpg

Hit it the chicken with the Satay and back in the fridge for a while

f73613a2.jpg

On to the veggies

Sliced up some Squash and Zucchini and tossed in some mushrooms

Made the marinade with lemon juice, EVOO, oregano, garlic, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.

d628a694.jpg

Toss the veggies with the marinade and back in the fridge for a few hours

0c17aaf6.jpg

Skewer the chicken and veggies and onto the MAK running on high

bb155002.jpg

Looking good after the first flip

d0f81602.jpg

Last edited:

CarterQ

Satay Chicken and Veggies part 2

All done

236f0da3.jpg

d3da96d3.jpg

Dinner is served

9270798d.jpg

6a13311a.jpg

This came out great, big bold flavor on the chicken nicely balanced with the mellow herb flavor on the veggies. I normally do this recipe on the Hasty Bake but decided to try it out with the MAK full size flame zone and it came out perfect.

scooter

Mustards Grill: Mongolian Pork Chops

mustards.jpg
mustards4.jpg
mustards3.jpg

In the southern end of Napa Valley in the town of Yountville lies a small roadside grill that has a huge reputation, Mustards Grill. It's a landmark eatery that was named after the mustard flowers that grow in the vineyard out back. Its right on highway 29 on your way up to Napa valley's many wineries. Mustards signature dish is a Mongolian Pork Chop which they sell an average of 2000 a month. It's served with a Chinese style mustard sauce, garlic mashers and braised red cabbage and it's very, very popular.
I decided to reproduce it in my MAK cause I'm a sucker for a good pork chop so here we go!

The recipe: http://www.mustardsgrill.com/sites/default/files/Mongolian-Pork-Chops.pdf

Gather the ingredients for the Mongolian marinade along with the double cut center loin pork chops with bones frenched.
IMG_8523.jpg

Mix up the ingredients and place the chops in the bag with the marinade for between 6 to 12 hours. I let them marinade for 6 hours.
IMG_8525.jpg

Into the MAK at 275
IMG_8526.jpg

Time to make their Chinese Style Mustard Sauce. Colemans mustard powder, red wine vinegar, 2 eggs, sugar and whipping cream. Cook the ingredients in a double boiler until thick then cool. Fold in the cream. The recipe calls for creme fraiche but it came out too thick so I did it again with whipping cream and it turned out much better.
IMG_8524.jpg

Pulled them at an IT of 145-150. Then onto the kettle over lump coals for 2 mins per side to carmelize the sugars and get some grill marks.
IMG_8529.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Mustards Grill: Mongolian Pork Chops Part II

Plated with the same items they do in the restaurant. Garlic mashed potatoes, braised red cabbage (braised in butter, red wine vinegar, brown sugar and fresh ground cumin) and served it with their Chinese Style Mustard Sauce.
IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8542.jpg

Holy monkies Batman!! That was the best pork chop ever! Mrs scooter thought so too! That recipe is a keeper. It's a recipe for when you have company over and you want to blow them away type recipe! I doubt Mustards Grill's own version could be better than the MAK version! It was bone gnawing good.
IMG_8543.jpg

Here's a video of Mustards Grill owner, Cindy Pawlcyn, creating Mongolian Pork Chops.

mustards2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! This week is impossible to judge! There were so many fantastic entries it is hard to pick, but here we go:

1st Chili Head Sweet and Savory Pork Tarts
2nd Deb Mak Sundae
3rd bflodan Kurobuta Pork Chops with Apple Stuffing

Thanks BP for letting us play. After this week, I know I don't want to judge anymore! Everyone is raising the bar with their creativity.

Big Poppa

Administrator
wowowowowowowowowow what a great couple weeks of cooking...keep it up...I like that some are digging to adapting conventional recipes and using the superior pellets!

CarterQ

All I can say is wow! Another epic week of great cooks. Congrats to all the winners and looking forward to seeing what pops up next week!

Top Bottom