Controlling the overshoot

Quadman750

Just wondering how everyone else tries to somewhat control the overshoot. When i open the lid for long periods of time to sauce ribs etc... It obviously senses low temp & starts dumping pellets which cause a major overshoot after you close the lid so what I have been doing is turning the set temp as low as it will go on my Memphis Elite when I open the lid. Just wondering what everyone else does to avoid this (probably better to take food off & sauce it). Just wondering if there is anything else I can do to prevent this or make it less drastic. I know this is not a fault of the grill, it is just trying to keep the set temp, just wish there was an open lid feature where there was a delay in the dumping of pellets.

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

I sauce my cooks as you mentioned. I put a ss tray on the front shelf of my MAK, open lid and transfer say one rack of ribs to the tray and close lid while saucing. I've never experienced an overshoot from saucing. Here's wishing you the best of luck and good smoking.

TentHunter

I use the simplest way I know of to deal with the overshoot from saucing ribs: I shut the lid, then go back to doing whatever it was I was doing before.

With the fan pulling in air from the outside, if there is an overshoot it won't last long and your grill will settle right back down.

Quadman750

Thanks So Cal, I will use this method from now on. Thanks Tent instead of worrying about the short overshoot I will relax & have a beer while I watch it come back down. Cheers!!!!!!

Mojak

Sounds like a hold setting might be needed.....my guess is that could be easily be included in an update!

Mojak

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

Relax and have a beer is spot on Quad, sometimes we get so caught up with what the temps are we forget to just kick back and enjoy the moment. If it isn't rewarding don't do it.

Teedub21

If you're seeing large overshoot they have a programming fix for that. My Memphis Pro was overshooting set temp up to 100 degrees when going from high smoke to a cook setting. Tech walked me through reprogramming over the phone and I don't see huge overshoot anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quadman750

If you're seeing large overshoot they have a programming fix for that. My Memphis Pro was overshooting set temp up to 100 degrees when going from high smoke to a cook setting. Tech walked me through reprogramming over the phone and I don't see huge overshoot anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just see an overshoot after the lid has been open for a while. No overshoot going from smoke to cook mode

Top Bottom