Curing some pork belly for bacon

Lothar1974

Got some pork belly from the local butcher. Just started curing it.

Maple sugar, salt, pure maple syrup and cure #1
DSC00404.jpg

Brown sugar, salt , crushed whole pepper corns and cure #1
DSC00403.jpg

Maple sugar, salt and cure #1
DSC00399.jpg

Will be cold smoking with Hickory and then warm smoking with Hickory. Will post pics along the way.

Lothar

Pappymn

Really want to try this someday. Did you have to special order the bellies, or is this an always available item?

TentHunter

I'll be watching this one too! :)

Really want to try this someday. Did you have to special order the bellies, or is this an always available item?

Like Lothar, I get my pork bellies from a local butcher. They're not always called pork bellies though. Many butchers call them a pork side or "fresh bacon."

The belly is from the side attached to the spareribs towards the back (or belly area).

Last edited:

TrickyDick

I got my pork belly today, didn't see weight, but at least 10 pounds. Got my instacure and going to start curing tonight when I get home. 4 star is put for delivery today! Yee Haw!

TrickyDick

Not to thread hijack...but thought this a good place to ask.

Anybody ever make bacon from wild boar? Couple people who we work with have just killed two wild boar and I thought, hmm, maybe I could buy the pork belly from those. I don't know if it would be worth it or be too lean compared to farm raised pigs.

TD

Lothar1974

Alright, sliced up and looking good. I also cooked some up tonight. I will say I was satisfied with the out come for my first attempt. The flavor of the pepper blend didnt come through much, next time, pepper during the curing, and after the wash. The maple syrup version was excellent, strong flavor. The maple sugar only one had a very slight maple taste.

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

TrickyDick

Looks Great!

What did you slice the bacon with?

Mine should finish day #7 in the wet cure on Sunday, and be ready for the MAK. Got to read up on the other bacon thread about what to do...

TD

Lothar1974

Looks Great!

What did you slice the bacon with?

Mine should finish day #7 in the wet cure on Sunday, and be ready for the MAK. Got to read up on the other bacon thread about what to do...

TD

I have a 12" Food slicer, I was hoping I could slice the bacon full length but it was still to long. I had to cut the pork bellies in half. They were still fairly long slices.

IMG_3340.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom