Drum smoker prep?

CMack1

So I ordered one of BP's drum smoker kits yesterday. Went on a barrel hunt today and came up with this one. I'm not sure if it's technically "food grade," but it is new and is bare metal inside so I figured it was ok. My question is about the exterior paint. Should I burn off the factory paint and spray it with high temp BBQ paint before the build, or just put it together and light her up?

Sorry I know this isn't really a pellet question, but it will be seeing plenty of pellets to make the smoke...........View attachment 1483View attachment 1484

sparky

where did you buy the barrel at? you really don't know if its food grade barrel? it looks good. i will be looking forward to your report. a drum barrel you have charcoal (bottom), water pan? next then 2 grates? don't know to much about them. it looks interesting. no switch? lol. i guess Hazel doesn't have a switch either. keep us posted on your progress.

TTNuge

Should be fine, guys use barrels that had oil and brake fluid and all other crap in them, as long as you burn it good those are fine. With it being brand new you are fine there.

But the paint probably won't hold up. I would probably burn off the factory paint but you could try and leave it. Fire it up the first time to season it without any meat in it and see how the paint holds up. If it looks like it isn't going to take the heat then I would start a raging fire in it and burn baby burn.

CMack1

Spark- I bought it at a company that manufactures and refurbishes drums, but I was on my lunch break and in a hurry. Figured if it was new and bare steel it can't really be hazardous.

Trent- thanks for the advice. I tossed in a chimney starter and a half of lit coals in it tonight, followed by a couple dried up 2x4s I had laying around. Let it go until the surface temp was 550 on the outside of the drum. The paint was smoking a little but no peeling or bubbles yet. I figure if it survives that it'll go a long time smoking under 300. I'll post pictures when I get her all put together.

Top Bottom