Dry Brining?

Has anybody every dry brined any steaks? If so, how do you like this technique and do you have any tips on performing it?

Thanks,

BP

scooter

Love dry brining! Whether using only salt or a rub, dry brining is what I do 90% of the time with any meat I cook.
With thick (2lb+) ribeyes sometimes I'll dry brine with kosher salt. I'll lay down a thick layer of salt on a plate then place the steak on the salt then apply another thick layer of salt on top. Make sure to coat the sides of the steak. I let it sit like that for 30-45 mins then thoroughly rinse off the steak in water, pat dry then apply olive oil, balsamic glaze,Sriracha etc, then apply salt and pepper or even better DSSR or Cash Cow or LLWP. Or instead of dry brining with kosher salt you can simply do it with DSSR or Cash Cow or LLWP.

TentHunter

Yep, I sometimes dry-brine turkeys. I like it a lot better than wet brining, because it allows the turkey to retain more of its moisture better without seeming watery, like you sometimes get with wet-brining.

Initially it will pull moisture from the meat creating a brine (of sorts) on the surface (hence the reason it's called dry-brining), then the moisture along with the salt is pulled back into the meat.

Scooter pretty much covered dry-brinign thinner cuts of meat (steaks, chops, boneless chicken breasts, etc.).

For whole cuts of meat, such as whole chickens, turkeys, large roasts, etc, you need to allow a couple hours or even overnight in the fridge. The bigger it is the longer it takes for the salt to penetrate and equalize.

Also, for poultry you apply the salt under the skin. If you don't go overboard on the salt then you don't have to worry about rinsing the salt out from under the skin.

America's test kitchen recommends 1 tsp per lb of meat for dry-brining poultry, then allow it to sit in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours.

Best Thanksgiving: How to Brine a Turkey & How to Salt a Turkey - YouTube

I find that's too much for my taste. I usually apply about 1/2 tsp salt per lb and find that's just right for me (but I tend to prefer lower-salt).

Hope this helps!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ilove dry brine thats why on the double secret money and sweet money that salt is top quality sea salt and big so it can melt on top of the other spices

Thanks everybody for their input. I'm thinking of dry brining some ribeyes then reverse searing them this weekend.

Thanks again,

BP

Top Bottom