Dumb question regarding trim Strube Ranch top sirloin into steaks

Hawk Lax

I have a dumb question. Received order a few weeks back from Strube, ribs, top sirloin and burgers. Upon arrival took six ribs out to thaw and threw the rest in the freezer. The ribs came out ridiculous, sorry no pics. My question is how do I cut up the frozen top sirloin into steaks. Do I thaw it then cut it and refreeze? Cut it frozen? Thaw in fridge?

Slicklefty

The risk of E. coli infection really exists more with ground beef. Large cuts can have bacteria on the "outside" but this is killed when you cook them (why you can eat steak medium rare but burgers should be cooked through). I would allow the meat to partially thaw, cut, vacuum seal and freeze.

Saxguy

My dad was a butcher and used to use a band saw to cut frozen meats. Don't try that at home, though.

There should be a food safety thread. Large cuts do have the pathogens on the outside and most likely wouldn't be an issue if you're doing a rub and then cooking, but if you inject you're pushing the pathogens inside. For larger cuts that could be a problem if the meat stays in the danger zone too long during the cooking process.

Top Bottom