FINALLY...Great Thighs!

NorCalQ

I don't understand why, but if the cooker is not solidly at 425* before the chicken goes in, the chicken skin chars and is not quite bite thru. This is not unique to the MAK2...I get poor results if I do this in the Primo as well. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will have an explanation.

flavorguy

I kinda like the way my thighs come out...

1) Take 1/2 cup of mayo. Add approx 1 T seasoning rub/mix of choice (I like Pensy's Vindaloo Seasoning). Brush on Mayo mixture
2) Preheat MAK to 325'F. Cook thighs skin side up for 1.5 hours.
3) Turn thighs over (skin side down). Cook for 30 -45 minutes to crisp skin.
4) Turn over back to skin side up and cook to desired internal temp - I also look for 170'F IT

RickB

True dat! For me, it's all part of the hobby, since I'm no pro for sure. Since I know the 425* temp was good, I'll go for more smoke next time. Maybe just the Tube during the cook or maybe another try with a cold smoke before the cook. Anyways, I'll keep at it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Problem with the high temps its probably going to set that skin early and the tube wont do much good.

NorCalQ

Problem with the high temps its probably going to set that skin early and the tube wont do much good.
That could be true...on the other hand, the Primo gives great smoke flavor at high temps, so I'm hoping that with some additional smoke, the MAK2 will do the same. If not, then more experimenting...

NorCalQ

Just tried it again...this time with the Tube...same good skin, with moist meat, but this time, nice and smokey!

Top Bottom