Fire Alarm!

nileriver

I have posted before, but I will recap my background. I got the 2 star about 2 weeks ago. I had issues with ash buildup using gourmet bbq pellets. I vacuumed the grill out and then did a chuck roast. Today I changed out the "blend" pellets for hickory and cooked ribeye on the high setting. I did not vacuum it out like I probably should have (I just don't feel this is something I should have to do before every cook). Nearing the end of my cook I got the fire alarm warning. I am a little concerned about that. Should I try BBQ'ers Delight pellets and see if I get different results? I wanted to reach out here before I contact Mak directly.

Update: The ribeyes turned out good. After the Mak cooled down I open it up and found ash cover the bottom on it again. There was a good amount in the fire pot as well.

Last edited:

TentHunter

First, NEVER hesitate to contact MAK directly, or Big Poppa Smokers (especially if they were your dealer). You'll find both teams very pleasant to deal with. :)

There's no need to vacuum the ash out of the grill out every time. It's the Fire Pot that needs to be cleaned out frequently (we clean the firepot after every couple of cooks or every long cook). I sweep the ash out of the bottom of the grill every couple weekends when there's more time.

In other words, keep your firepot clean, stop fretting about the ash and enjoy your grill! ;)

About the fire alarm: That FlameZone Drip pan can get pretty dang hot on the High setting, and grease dripping on it can atomize and catch fire. Try backing the temp off to 400° next time and see if you still don't get great results grilling with the FlameZone.

nileriver

First, NEVER hesitate to contact MAK directly, or Big Poppa Smokers (especially if they were your dealer). You'll find both teams very pleasant to deal with. :)

There's no need to vacuum the ash out of the grill out every time. It's the Fire Pot that needs to be cleaned out frequently (we clean the firepot after every couple of cooks or every long cook). I sweep the ash out of the bottom of the grill every couple weekends when there's more time.

In other words, keep your firepot clean, stop fretting about the ash and enjoy your grill! ;)

About the fire alarm: That FlameZone Drip pan can get pretty dang hot on the High setting, and grease dripping on it can atomize and catch fire. Try backing the temp off to 400° next time and see if you still don't get great results grilling with the FlameZone.

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry... I really have been enjoying the grill! I just wanted to make sure that it is operating as it should. I did see a fairly large fire in the fire pot when the alarm was going off (the flame was shooting well about the fire pot itself).

mcschlotz

Personally, I use BBQ'ers Delight and the remaining fire pot ash is quite minimal. Regardless, I've adopted the ounce-of-prevention method by always dumping the pot prior to each smoke. It's simple, takes a few seconds and ensures a good startup & clean smoke for each meal. YMMV :D

KyNola

I noticed in your write-up that you said you changed from a blended pellet to hickory. If those are 100% hickory there is your ash issue. 100% hickory pellets produce a lot of ash, a LOT! I know that from experience unfortunately. It is completely normal for ash to be in the bottom of the MAK. That's what is supposed to happen. The fan blows the ash out of the firepot so that the pellets being augered into the firepot will ignite. Otherwise the ash in the firepot would smother out the fire. Try BBQ'ers Delight pellets. You won't be disappointed. After having tried several different brands, including 100% hickory pellets, BBQ'ers Delight are all I burn.

I also noticed that you said there was a lot of fire in the firepot. That is to be expected when running on HIGH as is the fire spacing itself completely underneath the FlameZone pan. That's what the diverter is for, to spread out the flame.

I think you are still learning how your MAK operates and understandably cautious about it. Once you get used to it your anxiety level will calm down.

Last edited:

nileriver

I noticed in your write-up that you said you changed from a blended pellet to hickory. If those are 100% hickory there is your ash issue. 100% hickory pellets produce a lot of ash, a LOT! I know that from experience unfortunately. Try BBQ'ers Delight pellets. You won't be disappointed. After having tried several different brands, including 100% hickory pellets, BBQ'ers Delight are all I burn.

I also noticed that you said there was a lot of fire in the firepot. That is to be expected when running on HIGH as is the fire spacing itself completely underneath the FlameZone pan. That's what the diverter is for, to spread out the flame.

I think you are still learning how your MAK operates and understandably cautious about it. Once you get used to it your anxiety level will calm down.

Good to know. I got around 300 pounds of pellets when I purchased the Mak, so I won't be changing to BBQ'ers delight anytime soon. To correct myself, they are actually Pacific Pellets (it says Gourmet Pellets in big font...). I will just have to pay close attention to what I am doing and make sure to always check the fire pot before cooking.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

The fire alarm is just to notify you of a flare up when grilling. if the MAK detects a temperature of 100+ degrees above your set point it will display the alarm and beep to alert you. This has nothing to do with pellets burning in the pot or ash build up. Once your grill is seasoned in more you will have less chance of a flare up but anytime your cooking fatty foods at high temps it is possible and you should keep an eye on your prize rib eye :) Like Tent said, try grilling at 400 degrees and that will help too.

So yes your MAK is working perfectly and thanks to one of our other amazing grill owners for the flare up alarm idea, no doubt posted on this site!

nileriver

The fire alarm is just to notify you of a flare up when grilling. if the MAK detects a temperature of 100+ degrees above your set point it will display the alarm and beep to alert you. This has nothing to do with pellets burning in the pot or ash build up. Once your grill is seasoned in more you will have less chance of a flare up but anytime your cooking fatty foods at high temps it is possible and you should keep an eye on your prize rib eye :) Like Tent said, try grilling at 400 degrees and that will help too.

So yes your MAK is working perfectly and thanks to one of our other amazing grill owners for the flare up alarm idea, no doubt posted on this site!

Thanks for the information. It is very good to know that.

MAK DADDY

No problem happy to help! One thing I didn't mention, as soon as the grill falls back below that 100 degree above set point mark the alarm will stop.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Your problems seem to keep coming back to the pellet..have you asked your dealer for help? 300 pounds of possibly inferior pellets are a drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom