First BBBacks, Ever!

NorCalQ

Just did my first BBBack ribs ever on the MAK2. I've done other ribs, but all the talk about BBBacks on sale, got me hungry to try them out. I went to Sams and picked up a brisky for the 4th and some BBBacks for today...great price at $30 for 3 racks...I believe cheaper than the Target sale. Cooked 1 1/2 rack and froze 1 1/2 rack.
Anyhow, 2 hours on smoke, 1 1/2 hour at 250* foiled, then 15 minutes to set the sauce. It was also my first time foiling with peach nectar, squeeze butter and brown sugar...
Man, did they turn out great! Moist and tender, with some bite and plenty of smokey flavor, likely due to the Tube. I'm overjoyed, cause my last rib cook wasn't, at all, postworthy. I'm sure they weren't comp quality, but we loved'em. Now I know why people love BBBacks...very, very meaty and relatively quick to cook. Thanks for look'in...

Meat Man

Good color, look nice and moist too. I know you like the smoke tube. How long does it burn. Question NorCal? What brand of pellets have you been using?

NorCalQ

Good color, look nice and moist too. I know you like the smoke tube. How long does it burn. Question NorCal? What brand of pellets have you been using?
Thanks all, for the replies. Never having done them before, I feared a bad outcome, but they were just done a lot quicker than other ribs I've done.
Meat Man, the 18" Tube lasted about 4 1/2 hours. Seems the tighter you pack it, the better it smokes. Also, with my MAK, when you place the Tube along the back of the cook surface, I think circulating air hits it and promotes the burn and smoke. Maybe in other cookers or just by itself, the Tube would last even longer. Since I don't need smoke once I foil, next time I'll use the 12", which lasts about 3 hours.

jimsbarbecue

Look real good. We have found that Sams has some real meaty Baby Back Ribs. Where I go to buy them. Very nice color to them.

NorCalQ

Thanks! One of these days I'm going to get to go to a comp and see what real comp ribs are supposed to look like. Till then, if they taste good to me, I'm happy.

Meat Man

We just did our fifth comp, we got two comment cards on ribs. One judge said they were over done, and another judge said they were under done? I tasted both racks and they bit the same. Cook em how you like em.

NorCalQ

Yeah...but right now I taste things with an uneducated palate. Someday, I'd like to send my mouth to school to do some learning.

flyweed

how in the world did you finish ribs in less than 4 hours? I will admit I am pretty new to pellet grills, but have smoked for years now on smokers like the WSM and UDS...and have always relied on the 2-2-1 method for bb backs, with a constant temp of 230F. That's a good solid 5 hours. You went 2 hours on smoke, and then only another 1.5 at 250F...I just don't see how ribs can get "done" that quick. Hoping someone can let me in on the secret, or how this is possible. Don't get me wrong your ribs look great, but I can't get over how quickly they were done. I rely on feel (toothpick method) and also pull back on the bone to tell me when they are done, but 5 hours or a bit more is usually the norm for me.

Thanks for any comments or hints!!

Top Bottom