First cook question?

scott6049

I am cooking for the first time on my new MAK 2 this weekend. I want to make the Pig Candy and the spatchcock chicken. What temps do I cook at for the pig candy and the spatchcock? Before I posted this I searched for hours and found so many different temps for both. I am confused on what is the best way. Thanks for ur help

Big Poppa

Administrator
I like spatchcock at 275 about ten or fifteen minutes remaining flip over to skin side and raise the temp to 400 to firm up the skin

scooter

"The Best" is very subjective as you found out as everyone has their opinion on what's the best way to BBQ something. You will find that in BBQ there are many ways to accomplish the same thing and what constitutes the best is really just a matter of opinion. You will determine what the best way of cooking all the meats on your own after you've done it many times and many ways.

On a drum I do chicken at 275ish but on a pellet cooker I go higher like around 325-350. I don't do a lot of pig candy but I'd probably do it between 275 and 300 until done.

scott6049

Thanks Scooter & Big Poppa. I am so proud to be a part of the MAK family. It is so cool to be able to get any and all my questions answered by experienced BBQers , and quickly at that. Thanks so much guys have a great day!

RickB

Watch that pig candy..it can go from almost done to burnt before you know it. The good juju is worth the extra attention! ;)

Might I add a slightly different Pig candy recipe. Mix some maple syrup with some mustard. Cook bacon about three quarters done. With a pastry brush paint bacon with mixture. Turn one last time and paint again. Enjoy!

Last edited:

scott6049

Thanks RickB I will definitely try that, sounds good. Can't wait to get smokin, I am off work fri,sat and sun. I have a 100 lb of pellets and the weather is going to be in the mid 70's. whoo hoo BBQ

RickB

Thanks RickB I will definitely try that, sounds good. Can't wait to get smokin, I am off work fri,sat and sun. I have a 100 lb of pellets and the weather is going to be in the mid 70's. whoo hoo BBQ

100lbs of pellets and a new Mak! Somebody gonna stink up the neighborhood! Watch out for the neighbors down wind. Have fun!

CDN Smoker

I will also add don't take the temp up to high for the pig candy. I lost the bacon and the forgo mats.

I am thinking 250 area it may just take longer

MAK DADDY

Welcome to the MAK Family and thanks for buying Made in USA!

Spatchcock for me is usually dinner time during the week so light coat of oil and chipotle rub then 400 degrees (skin up) for approx 45 minutes (flame zone covered).

Top Bottom