First Real BBQ Comp

Hey guys just wanted to say I'm entering in my very first legitimate BBQ competition!! Submitting my application tomorrow. Very nervous/excited. Wish me luck =)

scooter

Practice your timing at home
Practice your recipes at home
Keep your processes as simple as possible.
Be organized. Keep timers on things to help remind you to check.
We use a spreadsheet timeline that details everything that needs to happen from when we arrive until the last turnin is done on Saturday. We don't need to remember when things have to happen, it's right there on the timeline.
Trim all your meats at home. Make all your sauces at home.
Most important......have fun!

Good luck!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK you just need to make all your turn ins the first time....dont put any extra pressure....I have a hard copy of my time line and also selected alarms in my phone..

THe biggest thing is there is something that I coined "the idiots pyramid" That is the easy up you are cooking under. Something about that usually innocent tent during comps has special powers at key times....you come up with ideas that you never would and havent practiced....they rarely work....Ive made a joke of it but ignore all brain storms and epiphanies...stick to what you practice!

First, thanks so much for the suggestions and encouragement =) It really means a lot. Ill try to give as much info as i can because there isn't a lot. Don't know if its sanctioned by any BBQ governing body…i don't think it is. Will it say on the application? Also, this is the first BBQ competition that i know of in this area ever. People around here love to eat BBQ but thats about it.
Im from Hatfield and McCoy country. In fact I've worked near and next to both (Hatfield and McCoy) historic sites for well over 20 years. Each year both families come to my city for a reunion and the BBQ contest is part of it. Huge event that only gets bigger and bigger each year. The tv mini series really kicked it in high gear.
As for the event itself, ill be cooking Boston Butt and Ribs (no brisket). Something I'm fairly comfortable in cooking. This is my first comp so I'm just looking to have fun and learn a lot. Blind judges. I've never had to make other ppl like my food other than my family so this will be strange indeed. Never built a plate to turn in, so that will be different. Will they want Ribs and Pork Butt turned in the same container? dunno. Meeting with all cooks is the night before turn in so hopefully they will answer that question.
I think i have enough supplies, but I ordered a bunch of stuff from BPS so I'm excited/ready. As for help, how much is too much and how much is too little?
I need a tent. Planning on using my Mak 1 star. Should i take my Weber grill as backup? So much stuff to think about. Im planning on cooking a pork butt this weekend for practice. Gonna form my plan of attack hehe. Makes me wish i kept my BBQ Log up do date =)
I know I'm rambling, but i feel like my head is gonna explode hehe

Thanks for the ideas and help….greatly appreciated
-Mark

The official name of the contest is: Bourbon, BBQ, and Beer Bash. Its part of the Hatfield and McCoy Heritage Days celebration.

Sounds like an interesting night. Ill probably be the only sober person there =)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Good luck Seems like a great first contest......do the hatfields and mccoys get along? will there be a tussle? hahaha

Nah they'd spit and cuss at each other and solve their differences over a quart o' moonshine :) My wife's uncle is a Hatfield and heard stories his entire life about the feud. His family still blamed the McCoy family until his honorable death ( Viet Nam vet ) a few years ago. Its all in good fun now

Cooking 2 Pork Butts and 2 racks of ribs this weekend:) Trying to nail my timeline down. I usually don't cook that much stuff so estimating the overall cook is important i think. Im really excited. Hope I'm not boring ppl with me jabbering all the time. Im not expecting to win anything or place at all. I just want to learn and get better. Period. And have fun too.

Top Bottom