First steak on Memphis Elite!

Jaybaer

For 5th cook on the elite, decided to go with a T-bone to try out the direct flame flavorizer insert I just got from BP (it has holes in it so flame shoots out from burn pot onto grill grates). Sorry no pics, ate it too fast!

Did a reverse sear, and it was probably the best steak I've ever cooked:

Oak/cherry blend
BP double-secret steak rub
260 for 20 minutes
325 for 20 minutes
sear on OF-3 (the highest inferno setting)
pull, foil, rest for 10 minutes
finish with a light coat of BP money rub

Perfect sear and incredibly tender and juicy inside.

My gasser is a pretty serious Napoleon with an infrared, and there's no way you could get a sear that fast on there. Temp was way above 800 on the elite when I checked it, and looking into the fire pot after I shut it off was like gazing at the bowels of hell.

The most amazing thing to me is how fast the elite moves from low temp to high temp. The jump from 325 to 800+ took about 5 minutes. Much faster than a gasser, in my experience.

In two weeks I've smoked, grilled, and baked in the elite. And every single thing I've made had people raving. It makes you a much, much better cook than you really are (at least in my case). Thanks for that.

How the hell did I not have a pellet smoker until now? I feel like I've wasted 10 years of cook time! I love reading everyone's adventures here on the forum. Keep on keeping on, folks.

sparky

dude, lets see some pics of the amazing grill. steaks? come on now. were food junkies. we like pics.

Jaybaer

I know. Sorry, Sparky. I put up pics of the first 3 cooks, but got distracted this weekend. Next one for sure!

Chili Head

Steaks? I didn't see no steaks! No pics it didn't happen :D

Ok just kidding! I'm sure they were good and from your description I'm sure I want one!

HogSmoker

Jaybaer : Sounds really good I will try this. With the long cooking time would you say its med-rare or well done ? thanks

Jaybaer

Hog Smoker it was dead on medium. I wanted it medium rare, but that inferno setting brings up temp fast and I had never used it before. Next time I'll start reverse sear at 125 internal.

RickB

What Memphis? I don't see no stinking Memphis! Let's see some pic's dude. Congrat's on your grill!

Top Bottom