Flame Zone question that I'm wondering about

HogSmoker

On a MAK : After several cooks on a pellet grill ( no flame zone ) the user can pretty well or should know by now what to expect flavor wise from his cooks. Flavor meaning what the cook taste is without any marinating or spices.
My question : With a flame zone will the cook have a different taste compared too one with out a flame zone.
For instance : Say you cook pork steak or rib-eyes on a MAK pellet grill using a griddle or just on the grate. The meat is done to your desire med well and you have used hickory pellets to grill. Now do the same thing using a flame zone will there be a different taste ? The flame kiss taste that you get using charcoal and wood on a regular grill is what I'm wondering about.
Any thoughts / insights I'd appreciate . thanks

RickB

On a MAK : After several cooks on a pellet grill ( no flame zone ) the user can pretty well or should know by now what to expect flavor wise from his cooks. Flavor meaning what the cook taste is without any marinating or spices.
My question : With a flame zone will the cook have a different taste compared too one with out a flame zone.
For instance : Say you cook pork steak or rib-eyes on a MAK pellet grill using a griddle or just on the grate. The meat is done to your desire med well and you have used hickory pellets to grill. Now do the same thing using a flame zone will there be a different taste ? The flame kiss taste that you get using charcoal and wood on a regular grill is what I'm wondering about.
Any thoughts / insights I'd appreciate . thanks

Yes but only because of the sear or char. Using a griddle I doubt you would see much difference if you gave it enough time to come to temp.. But on standard grates you will get a much better sear and use alot less pellets.I have a full blank pan and the full flame zone and always use the full flame when I am grilling. But then again I always use grill grates when grill also. Just seems temp at grate level is higher.

Last edited:

TentHunter

H.S.

I got the FlameZone for our MAK 1 Star as soon as it was released and I can tell you for grilling, IT ROCKS. You do get more of that char-grilled, flame-kissed taste when using it for grilling at higher heat, yet the wood smoke flavor still comes through. I love it!

The FlameZone also brings out the best in the Griddle.

Now, having said that I will also say that for Low & Slow indirect cooks, I think the regular blank drip pan works best. The beauty is that you will have both drip pans and it only takes about 30 seconds to swap out whichever one you want.

If you're wondering about the price, let me assure you, the added flexibility is well worth the investment!

Cliff

HogSmoker

Hey good info Tent and Rick I appreciate that. Sure would like to have the flame zone .. new job for the piggy bank.

SmokinMAK

Hog Smoker - You will have much less smoke doing high and fast grilling as opposed to low and slow smoking (but you know that). Reverse sear really helps with this in that you can get the smoke flavor you are looking for, then do a higher temp sear/char. That's what most people around here advocate and I agree - it is the best of both worlds. You'll get your smoke and sear too.

A little hard doing it with the full blank pan because you'd have to remove it to go to the flamezone pan. Of course, the handy flamezone covers solve that problem too.

Have fun and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom