Foiled again? I dont think so!!!

dospelotas

Thought I would share an "experience" I had using foil on my (2012 MAK 2 Star General) drip pan and flame zone covers. It goes like this:[/B]
1. Brand new MAK and trying to keep it clean and new looking.
2. Used non stick foil "smaller size roll" and had to overlap two pieces.
3. Poked holes for every single flame zone exit making sure it was tight and unrestricted.
4. Covered the flame zone covers for indirect cooking.
****** AND SO I COOKED MY FIRST BRISKET ******
5. 11 hrs. and it turned out great.
6. Next day I cooked 3 spatchcocked chickens (just like Big Poppa's video) except!!!
7. I left the old foil from day before doing brisket. (lazy, stupid, dumb, whatever)
8. About 3/4 way of my cook I decided to flip the chickens
9. All the grease and liquid from the chickens poured out drenching the burnt dropping from the day before and would not freely drain into bucket.
10. I also found that the grease became trapped under the foil by entering under one piece of foil laid over another. If I ever use it again I will surely make the splice to allow grease to flow (right side of drip pan first / left side second).
********GREASE FIRE RESULTED*******
Last but not least in my efforts to keep my new MAK immaculate I experienced a frightening and embarrassing grease fire. I didn't think I had my fire that hot but my thought is the trapped grease under the foil as well as the saturated brisket drippings from the day before allowed the heat zone get the chicken grease to flash point.
I Post this hoping it will benefit and possibly save someone from a very dangerous situation.
Jeff in Texas

muebe

Sorry you had a grease fire. Sounds like you did not panic and handled the situation.

You know I gave up on foiling a while ago. Just run my Memphis at 500F for a few minutes after the cook then pull the pan and let the cleanup crew finish.... My dogs ;)

Moomtaz

Sorry you had a grease fire. Sounds like you did not panic and handled the situation.

You know I gave up on foiling a while ago. Just run my Memphis at 500F for a few minutes after the cook then pull the pan and let the cleanup crew finish.... My dogs ;)

Lol........clean up crew

SmokinSteiny

I had a similar issue with some spatchcock chickens before left too much of the marinade on them and when I put them on the grill it flamed up big time and burnt out my probe on my maverick in the process cause the flames got the wire, saved the chicken though. You aren't alone my friend!!!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Scooter were you away at some camp///reprogramming? heheheh

What this is is people find their process and things that work and dont work.....The majority of customer service issues we get are full fir pots and greasy pits....Once you figure that you just need to stay a little focused on fire and grease and airflow you become a cooking mensa....hehehe

Top Bottom