Food sealer bags, which ones?

Ducaticraig

Just purchased my first food sealer and am hoping someone can tell me which bags I should stock up on? I'm confused as to 3 Mil or 4 Mil and zipper bags versus non zipper? Can I use bags in a roll and just cut to size or do I need to order different size bags for a chamber sealer? Can you freeze, microwave and boil all the Vacmaster bags? The machine is going to be used leftovers or for costco runs where I can only cook so much food for my small family. It will be nice to seal and save meats in the freezer without feeling pressure to cook them right a way. Sealer is also going to be used for mom-in-law when she stocks up on everything when taken on her monthly Chinatown run. Most importantly, I never cold smoked cheese and hear a vacuum sealer is recommended or needed when storing the cheese in the refridge for a couple weeks before eating.

I purchased a Vacmaster VP215C chamber sealer and just need some help locking in on about 3 to 4 different bags sizes to keep on hand. Thanks for any guidance pointing me in the right direction and for helping me save time trying and buying too many bag sizes.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TentHunter

The zipper bags have a little sealer flap that uses either an attachment with a circular head that fits over the flap, or a small hand-held vacuum pump made specifically for them. We use them ONLY for freezing things like lunch meat, bacon, etc. where you may want to use a little then re-close the bag.

We've had them leak air around that flap too many times to know that they are OK at best. For anything where I want a good seal that I know will hold, I use the regular bags or the rolls.

The rolls are the most economical because you can customize the size and have less waste. But they also require a bit more work (you have to seal two edges). You cut what you need off the roll (leaving enough room to seal), heat-seal the bottom edge, place the food inside, then vacuum & seal the top edge.

We use more rolls than anything.

Kite

The cost of the bags is not important since you purchased a chamber sealer. Do NOT buy the ribbed foodsaver type bags - buy the smooth bags intended for chamber machines. The 3 mil bags work just fine for me.. of course 4 mil would be just that much better but I really think it would be over kill. When I bought my chamber machine I bought 2 bag sizes - 8x15 for ribs and big slabs of meat and 7x9 for single meal packaging. I use the 7x9 for almost everything so I bought a lot of those. I paid 3 cents per bag for the 7x9 so I really can't understand why anyone would buy a roll. The rolls are just a lot of extra work and put extra wear and tear on your sealer bar. A tip that I read when researching my purchase - roll the top of the bag down when you are filling it to keep the seal area clean and dry. Then roll it back up when you go to seal. I have done over 100 bags so far and not had a single seal failure with this method.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your machine at least half as much as I love mine!!!

Ducaticraig

Kite, it was after your post when you pulled the trigger to buy your Vacmaster VP215 that I decided it was time for me to look into buying one. I was thinking about saving money and buying a lessor unit but after seeing your beautiful machine I could not resist to get one. Is the blue face a newer VP215C model? I've seen other VP215 sealers with a black/gray face? BTW, thanks for the bag information.

Now it's time to upgrade the piano. :) :). LOL

TentHunter

Kite said:
I paid 3 cents per bag for the 7x9 so I really can't understand why anyone would buy a roll.

At just 3¢/bag for a chamber sealer, I can understand why you wouldn't want to use rolls. Of course, we don't have a chamber sealer :(.

Hmmm, now you got me thinking that I may have to calculate my costs and see if I can justify a chamber sealer.

Last edited:

Kite

Kite, it was after your post when you pulled the trigger to buy your Vacmaster VP215 that I decided it was time for me to look into buying one. I was thinking about saving money and buying a lessor unit but after seeing your beautiful machine I could not resist to get one. Is the blue face a newer VP215C model? I've seen other VP215 sealers with a black/gray face? BTW, thanks for the bag information.

Now it's time to upgrade the piano. :) :). LOL

Well you can't go wrong with a high end piano - it brings pleasure to our lives every day, weather playing or just listening..

You got me thinking about the color on the face of the machine. I hadn't even noticed before - what color is yours? After I saw your post I went to the Vacmaster company site and they show a blue face. I also did some searching and found some pics that did not appear to be blue, but I am wondering if they are just grey scale pics to keep the size down. But I guess I really don't know about the color thing.

I did a ton of research before I bought my VP215 and after using a foodsaver for years and now using the VP215 I am 100% totally happy with my purchase!!! Not one regret.. I am still coming up with new ideas for this thing.

BTW - the 7x9 bags hold a pound of ground meat perfectly. I drop it in in a ball, seal it, then smash it flat before putting in the freezer. They stack up real nice in the freezer and thaw easily overnight.

So Cal Smoker

I have a Cabela's CG-15 and use the rolls to make my bags but at $.03 a bag for 7x9 I would love to use them. Does anyone know if the bags for the VP215 would work in the CG-15? Thanks for the info and enjoy the game today. Go Ray.

Kite

I have a Cabela's CG-15 and use the rolls to make my bags but at $.03 a bag for 7x9 I would love to use them. Does anyone know if the bags for the VP215 would work in the CG-15? Thanks for the info and enjoy the game today. Go Ray.

I believe the smooth bags will work but you have to get an adapter strip to put in the seal of each back so the air can be evacuated.

Top Bottom