Friday the 13th Contest! Need 13 entries to double the Stakes!

ACW3

Elk Tenderloin Antrim

I decided to cook something a little different for tonight. I haven’t cooked this in quite a while. My sister-in-law cooked this many (many) years ago while I was staying with them during deer hunting season. It is called Venison Tenderloin Antrim from a cookbook by Jim Hayes. The cookbook is called “How to Cook a Deer… and Other Critters”.

IMG_7123.jpg

The recipe comes from the owner of the Antrim Lodge in the Catskill Mountain town of Roscoe, NY. I have cooked this with both venison and elk. I am using elk this time. (That is what was in the freezer.)

The recipe is as follows.

1 or 2 tenderloins (venison or elk)
¼ lb of butter
3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced (I used more—I like garlic)
1 or 2 ounces of bourbon (I used Maker’s Mark)
1 or 2 ounces of red wine (I used some 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon)
2 tablespoons of currant jelly (I used grape jelly)
Garlic salt
Ground black pepper
Toast points

Here are my players.

IMG_7113-1.jpg

I decided to take this recipe to a different level. I smoked the elk tenderloin using BD Hickory pellets. The tenderloin was rubbed with some Annie’s Roasted Garlic EVOO and seasoned with garlic salt and black pepper. Onto the MAK it goes.

IMG_7116.jpg

While this is getting happy with a little hickory smoke, I sliced a zucchini, sliced some baby portabellas, and sliced a red onion for the veggie part of the meal. A little Annie’s ( I love this stuff) with some Desert Gold Rub, and onto the grill.

IMG_7114.jpg

I pulled the tenderloin after an hour of smoke and then turned the grill up to 350 to finish the veggies. The rest of the meal is back in the kitchen. I fired up the black iron frying pan to get it really hot. The butter goes into the hot pan followed by the minced garlic. The elk tenderloin medallions go next. They are only in the pan about ½ minute per side, max. These need to be on the rare side.

IMG_7120.jpg

In the meantime I have toasted some bread and cut into toast points. They go on a well-and-tree platter and stay warm in a 250 degree oven. The elk tenderloin gets added to the platter and back into the oven while I make the pan sauce. Now comes the best part. This sauce really makes this an outstanding meal. Reduce the heat, add the wine, bourbon, and grape jelly mixing well with the burnt butter and any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Pour over the elk and serve.

IMG_7121.jpg

Here is my plate. The veggies were very good, too.

IMG_7122.jpg

I must say that the meal is as I remembered it. That pan sauce really made the meal.

You can’t have a meal without dessert. Again I wanted something a bit different. I have made ice cream out of coffee creamers before, but now they have come out with one that is out of the park – Almond Joy flavored creamer. In addition to the creamer, they now make little Almond Joy Pieces. I had to use them, too.

IMG_7102.jpg

Into my ice cream maker with some crushed Almond Joy Pieces. These pieces actually changed the color to a bluish tint. The taste was right on!

IMG_7104.jpg

Here is a bowl of ice cream with a few extra Pieces. What’s not to like!

IMG_7106.jpg

I haven’t done a pan sauce in a while. There are lots of variations on pan sauces that would complement this meal. I may have to try them.

Art

Rip

Filet Oscar or What are the Odds?

Last Friday Nancy and I were discussing what to make for dinner Sunday...We decided filets sounded good, hey let's make Filet Oscar! I was pretty sure I hadn't seen anyone do this cook for the contest in the last 12 months...

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the contest thread this morning and saw a Filet Oscar entry! (and NorCal my brother, you knocked it out of the park!)

What are ya going to do?....are stomachs were set on it, so here we go!

Started off with the Mussini balsamic vinegar w/coffee (from BPS) as glue and added some 8th Wonder of the World rub with a little chili powder for good measure...aaahahahaa! Just kidding Sparky, it was DBL Secret!
IMG_2771sm.jpg

While the steaks got started, (on at 275), and with a little help from my Grandson Cale, I whipped up some twice baked potato cakes. (They were supposed to be Potato Peaks, but I think I had a little too much sour cream for them to stand up properly!)
IMG_2774sm.jpg

Cale was a pretty good sport, but a lot of this meal was prepared one handed. When the filets hit 110 they were flipped and the rest of the fixings were added to the MAK. The asparagus was marinaded in Gadassi's garlic EVOO and BPS Double Secret rub with a little cayenne kicker. Here's a group photo.
IMG_2780sm.jpg

Here's my plate.
IMG_2787sm.jpg

Here's a 'cut' shot (notice I took a cue from Nancy and added béarnaise sauce to my potato cake)
IMG_2792sm.jpg

Everything turned out awesome! Even the 'flat' potato peaks had a wonderful toasted crunchy bottom.
IMG_2794sm.jpg

No dessert today (gotta draw the calorie line somewhere)!

Last edited:

squirtthecat

SOW Pork Loin and Mykonos Lemon Potatoes

Had a few of these laying around...

IMGP7775.JPG

Add 1/3rd of a bottle of this. (stock photo)

smoke_bbq.jpg

Soak for most of the day.

IMGP7782.JPG

Onto the Traeger at 250°.

IMGP7792.JPG

Earlier... Started a lemony potato dish from Mykonos (Greek) Restaurant in Orlando, FL.

20120115150157.jpg

I think I overcrowded the pan.

IMGP7777.JPG

Here we go, into the 350° MAK.

IMGP7785.JPG

2.5+ hours later.

IMGP7797.JPG

Pork is ready.

IMGP7804.JPG

Crappy cell phone plated shot.

20120115190239.jpg

Potatoes are really good, but I need to work on them a bit. Perhaps just a single layer next time so they cook evenly?

The SOW soaked pork loin rocked!

Last edited:

TentHunter

BBQ Drumsticks & Salad

It was getting late and its pretty cold here right now so I was looking for simple. What could be more simple than some chicken legs on the MAK?

CHKLEGS1.JPG

And why not some of that homemade Cider Mill Bacon to top the salad?
CHKLEGS2.JPG

The legs are sauced...
CHKLEGS3.JPG

The bacon's done...
CHKLEGS4.JPG

Dig in!
CHKLEGS5.JPG

A nice salad topped with some Sweet Apple & the Cider Mill Bacon bits.
CHKLEGS6.JPG

It was a simple but delicious dinner.

Big Poppa

Administrator
You know that question, late in the afternoon, "what's for supper?" Off to the store I went in search of "targets of opportunity"

I've been thinking about "something different" so here goes.

Scaloinks!

I started with 3lbs of sea scallops. I tried to get the BIG ones, but my store did not have them.

I started wrapping them with bacon. This is were I learned that scallops are a lot slipperier than meat balls.

After wrapping 1.5lbs (with 1lb of bacon) I decided to do half unwrapped.

The bacon wrapped ones got a generous application of soileau's seasoning, the "naked" ones were seasoned with Old Bay.

I set the MAK 2 star to HIGH and put the scallops on

DSC_1798.jpg

After 5 minutes
DSC_1800.jpg

Getting some good color, looking done
DSC_1799.jpg

The Mrs made French Onion soup (again) It was great
DSC_1801.jpg

Plated
DSC_1802.jpg

The flavor was great, it was a hit. I would have liked to run them on "smoke" but I didn't want to over cook them. When I do these again I will put the bacon in the oven for a few minutes to give it a head start.

Oh and lets not forget dessert:

DSC_1804.jpg

Thanks! ahahaha

Daz

I smoked my first brisket today, but I'm having problems getting the pics uploaded. (files are to big). Anyway ,no big deal I'll catch the next contest. I just wanted to say everything looks yummy, and good luck to everybody who cooked. Also Happy Birthday BP!

bflodan

It looks like another solid week of smoking, even though we didnt hit the 13, it came close... Even though it is nice to win it not easy to be the judge... There where alot of great looking meals this week..

Susan: Ribs looked great, it sure didnt look like your first time..

Deb: Those ribs and 2 different mac and cheeses looked delish and then to add the berry crisp and the sausage and spaghetti squash on the next day, very nice..

Flbentrider: Scaloinks!!!! I could have eaten those all night long!!

RickB: Pizza with smoked chicken and sausage...You could make money with those!!! They look excellent!!

Jeffco: What a great idea, 2 pork loins 4 different ways... Looked nice and juicey!!

Norcal Smoker: Wow the crab and the bearnaise sauce on those filets looked fabulous... Nice cook!!

Scallywag: I love chicken parm and what a great way to do it... Looked awesome and to also enjoy my favorite kind of beer with it made my mouth water!!

Acw3: That meal toatally reminded me of the hunting trips I use to go on when I was back east!! Looked great!!

Rip: Your filet oscar looked fantastic and to add those potatoes with the crisp bottems, what a meal!!

Squirt: Awesome looking pork loin and great idea on those potatoes, Im always lookin for a new way to try, I just found one!! Nice!!

Tenthunter: Very nice lookin chicken.. Looked like it was cooked perfect and then the salad with the smoked bacon, very nice meal...

And now the hard part... I think any of these could have placed!!

3rd: Norcal Smoker... I had you and Rip tied but that crab just looked soooo good on the smoker... Nice job

2nd: Jeffco What great color on those loins and they looked so moist..

1st: Scallywag Your timing couldnt have been better, Ive been craving chicken parm and now I have a new way to try it..... Congrats

Once again, great job everybody this is sooooo hard to judge..... Thanks BP

Scallywag

Congrats to Jeffco and Norcal.. Everyones cooks were beyond amazing!!! Thanks BP for providing this amazing forum to share and learn! And for the record -20 is not really considered cold here... -40 is when it is really crap! But I'm sure I will find a way to stay warm by the pellet pooper.

Susan

Congrats to the winners. It's a good thing calories are not taken in by viewing pics!

I know there are other folks out there cooking. Show us your stuff. We love it when pics of your cooks are shared.

Thx, BP!

JeffCO

Congrats Scallywag and NorCal, nice looking cooks. Thanks all, and especially BP for stoking our addictions.

Top Bottom