Fridays Contest..lets get some of the vets back

OLE

Chicken by Berta

2012-08-10%2017.17.27.jpg

2012-08-10%2017.17.05.jpg

Spatchcocked chicken rubbed with some of BP's Money

2012-08-10%2017.58.10.jpg

Dinner time with some fresh picked from the garden 'cukes and cherry tomatoes!

The chicken was "deliciousness"! Unfortunately, I did not take the time to set up a
programmed cook and the breast ended up a little dry. Waiting for the iPhone app
for the PB? It was still some of the best chicken I've had.

Kite

ribs cont..

Time to come off the grill

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

Scallop potatoes off the smoker are to KILL for!

DSC02152.jpg

That's it for this week boys and girls. I have to say, the ribs were a HUGE hit. My sister who proclaimed that she would not walk across the street for ribs said she LOVED them! It was a really tasty cook. Thanks for looking and thanks to BP for putting this site together. There is no way that I would ever have cooked anything like this without the help of the people here. Really, thank you all!

Deb

A little snack

was prepping some food for the upcoming week and decided to work on a little snack at the same time...

some olives on smoke, garlic in some olive oil and a red pepper are all part of the snack...

photo-108-1.jpg

took the olives off before I upped the temp, then the garlic/oil and red pepper came off. some of the garlic and oil went into some white bean dip. peeled the red pepper, cut into strips and tossed with a tiny bit of balsamic, the rest of the oil from cooking the garlic/oil became a dipping oil - added cracked black pepper, crushed red pepper and grated some parmesan cheese into it

photo-109-1.jpg

then sliced up some sesame semolina bread up thin and grilled on the MAK
photo-110-1.jpg

the snack........ sesame semolina bread, dipping oil, white bean dip, roasted red pepper, smoked olives and some really good dried sausage

snack.jpg

enjoy

FLBentRider

Spicy Mussels in white wine

Start with 5+ lbs of mussels
DSC_2759.jpg

Set MAK to HIGH.
Saute 1/2 onion in 3T of Olive Oil
DSC_2760.jpg

Getting a little smoke
DSC_2761.jpg

when onion is soft, add some garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, fennel.
DSC_2762.jpg

cook another minute or two, then add 2 cups of this
DSC_2763.jpg

Bring to a boil, then everyone into the pool
DSC_2764.jpg

10 minutes later
DSC_2766.jpg

DSC_2767.jpg

FLBentRider

Take the liquid left over and reduce it down, meanwhile - Brush some cuban bread with olive oil.
DSC_2768.jpg

Done!
DSC_2769.jpg

some pasta on the side
DSC_2770.jpg

Plated
DSC_2771.jpg

68sting

I can see Ill never win one of these. I did ribs, chicken breasts and a bologna ring that will be used later in the week. Grilled tbones for supper and they were goodddddd!

Picture394.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture403.jpg

Picture402.jpg

Picture405.jpg

Picture404.jpg

RickB

Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops

Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops with a Crawfish Bordelaise Sauce. Fried Green Beans and Potato’s AuGratin.

Let’s get the stuffing going. The Players

IMG_0735.jpg

All the veggies into the pool and sauté till tender. Add crawfish sauté 2 minutes more.

IMG_0738-1.jpg

Into a bowl to cool.

IMG_0739-1.jpg

Once cool add bread crumbs, cheese and egg. Combine well.

IMG_0742.jpg

Ok let’s get the chop’s ready. Four monster chops. Cut pocket for stuffing.

IMG_0743.jpg

Stuff all the chops well.

IMG_0744.jpg

Let’s truss them up
IMG_0745.jpg

Stuffed, trussed and ready to go.

IMG_0746.jpg

These came out a little bigger than I imagined. Might have to split one of these with the wife.

IMG_0749.jpg

Let’s get the chop seasoned up and rest awhile

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/Ragbirch/IMG_0751.jpg[/IMG

Part 2 coming

RickB

Part 2

Let’s make some potato’s au gratin with mushrooms

Saute some shrooms

IMG_0760.jpg

Add some taters and cheese.

IMG_0763.jpg

Some cheese sauce and onto the Mak

IMG_0764.jpg

Let’s get the bordelaise going.

IMG_0761-1.jpg

Into the pool.

IMG_0776.jpg

Onto the fried green beans. The players.

IMG_0765.jpg

Hell I’m tired of typing…Lets plate it up.

IMG_0779.jpg

It was so good!

Enjoy!

OLE

Inspired by sparky

I have pondered for some time on a method for Berta's first rib cook and finally decided on a "sparky style"...

2012-08-12%2018.03.12.jpg

Baby backs painted with canola oil and rubbed with BP's Money, smokin' at 250 for 2 1/2 hours...

Foiled with dark brown sugar and butter (real) for another hour...

2012-08-12%2019.24.28.jpg

There were four variations of sauce on the finish and my fav was 50/50 mix of Big Bob Gibson Red Sauce and Pineapple Habanero Pepper Jelly.

They were OUTSTANDING!

Sorry about a no plate shot... I couldn't wait :)

MossyMO

Mad Hunky/Tatonka Weber Rotisserie Chicken with a little Tube Smoke

First charcoal cook since we purchased the Yoder. I have been longing to use charcoal again and happened to pick up a Weber Rotisserie for $50 so it was a no brainier to do chicken first.

Started out by soaking two chickens in Mad Hunky brine for 8 hours with a flip in the middle. We have used this product before and knew for not having cooked over charcoal in a while using the brine was an additional promise to not drying out the chicken.

-----

Here they are all hog tied, with an onion up the hen's butt's and good to go...

-----

Here is my tube smoker idea for a Weber rotisserie... I think this would work as well on a WSM or a drum smoker, the smoke never missed a beat. Then I set a ring of coals around the exterior of the bottom of the kettle using a pizza pan covered in aluminum foil to keep the briquettes too the side for an indirect cook while not putting any coals under the tube to prevent the pellets from igniting; it worked out great.

-----

The chickens were rubbed down with some olive oil and seasoned with Tatonka Dust. Here is after about an hour in with the Weber running 375º to 325º, was having trouble keeping it steady.

-----

Here we are another hour later, temps running much better.

-----

Here I fired up the Yoder to heat up some home made freezer corn and store bought, frozen garlic dinner rolls.

-----

Here is the chickens after reaching temp and just before they were pulled.

-----

Proof is in the onion... told you it was there!

-----

What a meal... the chicken was juicy, flavorful and absolutely delicious if I do say so myself!

-----

This was a very fun cook, been a while since I cooked outside of the Yoder. Every now and then I got to get dirty with charcoal!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Moomtaz

So I basically spent the weekend cooking. I concentrated my efforts on the big three: brisket, pork butt, and ribs. Just for good measure, I threw in some ABT's and moinks. We will briefly go through each of these cooks.

Brisket

I started my brisket by giving it a fairly basic rub. Mostly the old standbys: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and various types of peppers including chipotle.

27b1629e.jpg

I cooked it at 225 and then put it in a pan and foiled with a little beef broth after it reached 150. I pulled it internal temperature reached 200°. Good bark and color.

b1ac93d4.jpg

It had a fantastic smoke ring and sliced up really nice.

d23356ab.jpg

01a8ada8.jpg

On to pork butt
Continued...........

Moomtaz

Pork butt

I started with a pretty big butt, I like saying that.
b5320906.jpg

I injected it with an apple juice based injection.
Next, I slathered with mustard and used the same rub I use in competitions. It creates a very nice bark after about 12 hours of smoke.
This one had a red tint in color. I can't tell you why sometimes the pork I make turns out Redish and other times more black.

c3da6779.jpg

The bone slid right out and it was very easy to pull. Here is the final product and a sandwich I made for lunch

fac576aa.jpg

ef69923c.jpg

Coming up, ribs
Continued..........

Moomtaz

Ribs three ways. One my regular style ie mustard binder, one with a molasses binder, and one with red currant instead of brown sugar and honey in the foil stage.

The players:

28b6418d.jpg

Trimmed up and ready for binder.

e24c7fa3.jpg

Molasses on the left and mustard base on the right

0487b9ad.jpg

Onto the grill

74386b31.jpg

Pulled after two hours and coated the first with parkay, honey, and brown sugar. The one below got parkay and red currant jelly.

3a550878.jpg

89a79ef6.jpg

Here they are a little farther down the line and then finally after cutting them up (forgot to take a money shot before cutting them up)

2cfcbe1e.jpg

35d146b3.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...ABT's and moinks

Continued.........

Moomtaz

ABT's

The players

94b7d78f.jpg

All wrapped up and ready to go

b67a1381.jpg

And the moinks

fd3985f2.jpg

On the bottom shelf for about an hour

2cfcbe1e.jpg

Didn't get a final shot of the turds but here are the moinks

461c6471.jpg

All in all it was a very busy weekend!!!! Everything tasted great and the guests ate it all up, save a few rib tips I stashed away for lunch tomorrow. It's a labor of love, but somebody's gotta do it!!!

Chili Head

Yes!! Great participation this week! I counted 20 entries and that's fantastic! More food to look at means more ideas we get to see!
Great job everyone!

Here's a list of the chefs and their dishes this week.
Jimsbarbeque - chicken thighs
Sparky - tri tip
Deb - sloppy joes
Squirt - salmon
Wneill20 - pepper beef tacos
Muebe - tri tip
Susan - chuck roast
RickB - crawfish stuffed pork chops
Sodaksmokergolfer - NYstrips
Ole - ribs
Mossymo - rotisserie chicken
Sparky - chicken wings
Oneballbiscuit - ribs
Tatonka - steak and crab cakes
Kite - ribs
Ole - chicken
Deb- snacks
FLB - mussels and pasta
68sting - ribs,chicken,bologna,tbones
Moomatz - brisket,pork butt, ribs,abt's,moinks

Alright you guys came ready to play! Let's get to it!

Third place was the hardest one to choose this week..so many outstanding dishes to choose from.

Third place goes to....Muebe!
46e1b0c5-0e0c-9ee4.jpg

Tri tip and potato bites.
This is the first time I can remember seeing a tri tip cooked to this temp. It looks great and I'll be trying this!
Nice presentation and descriptions too!

Second place goes to....Tatonka!
46e1b0c5-0e20-a7a6.jpg

Aged ribeyes and crab cakes with veggies and garlic toast.
What a nice looking meal Tanya! The steaks were cooked perfectly with nice sear marks and the crab cakes looked delicious.
You're right..the bread had perfect grill marks too. After looking at your pictures I was wishing I was sitting there next to you with my own plate!
Nice job!

First place goes to....RickB!
46e1b0c5-0e55-7577.jpg

Crawfish stuffed pork chops with fried green beans and potatoes au gratin.
Rick that meal looks just damn good! The crawfish stuffing looks delicious enough to eat on its own and those monster sized pork chops are cooked nicely and don't look dry. I like the looks of the crispy top on the potatoes too...you gotta have that! Excellent descriptions and pictures of the steps you were doing as well. This meal took some time and preperation and you killed it! Over all a very satisfying looking dish.
Well done!

I would also like to say ..EXCELLENT JOB! To everyone else that entered. As usual the food you guys are putting out looks outstanding! It was great to see so many of you playing this weekend too! Let's shoot for 25 entries next week! We can do it!

Thanks BP for what you do!
Congrats RickB, Tatonka and Muebe!

Last edited:
Top Bottom