FTC Spatchcock chicken?

I have a co-worker who loves food off a pellet grill. Asks me what I'm cooking all the time 😄. Long story short, he asked me to BBQ chicken this weekend. Since he knew I was bbqing chicken anyway, I said sure. My plan is to spatchcock. Cooked chicken this way many times so I'm comfortable with it. However, getting the bird to him is my question. I've ftc'd butts and brisket, but never chicken. Has anyone ever FTC'd chicken? Pros/cons etc. I'd like for him to enjoy the chicken still hot. He may not be able to eat it straight away after I deliver it to him. Maybe be a couple of hours even. Ideas?

scooter

When I do what you're proposing, I cook until finished then remove and let most of the heat energy drain off. If I didn't let the heat energy drain off, and FTC'd right from the cooker, it would continue cooking in FTC well beyond what I wanted. FTC'ing chicken that you're just trying to keep warm should not turn the skin to rubber unless it got that way during your cook. The FTC will not undo something you did during the cook. You can also pull before it's done then FTC and use the FTC to finish your cook but this is a bit trickier for me to predict so I prefer the other method.
Something else to consider is if you FTC something that has been sauced and the sauce was set on the grill, FTC will loosen up that set sauce. I prefer to pull, FTC, transport, unpack, sauce, set the sauce, serve (If that option is available, it not always is).

Also, it's better if you're prepared to leave your cooler and towels with your friend and get them back later. Keeps the product warmer not having to transfer it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help scooter. I sauced it at 125 and again at 145. Pulled it at 162 in the breast. Ours turned out great. Nice color and taste. I bumped temp up to 425 when IT hit 150ish to crisp the skin. I used Jalapeño garlic salt and Desert Gold. With a splash of money. Very happy how it turned out. Thanks again for your help. =)

scooter

Nice! JSS & DG are my favorite rub combo for chicken! Glad it turned out. Let us know how your friend liked it. BBQ is really best eaten right off the grill but next best is before it is chilled.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Sometimes while planning a cook a new issue pops up out of nowhere. Like yesterday. FTCing chicken wasn't or isn't the optimal thing to do. It was a necessity��. Haven't heard from him how it turned out. I'll just cross my fingers and hope he enjoyed it as much as me and my family.
Thanks again

Btw JSS is truly unique. I was hesitant at first bc my family doesn't like the hot stuff. They like subtle. I can tell a lot of work and thought went into it. It's my new favorite base for all my cooks.

scooter

JSS is more about the flavor than it is about the heat as you've noticed. Do you have any pics from your chicken cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Chili Head

I haven't tried jss and dg on chicken yet..just dg is great by itself. I see some jss and dg chicken in my near future!

Here it is...Sauced her with Wee Willy's. Thanks for looking =)
IMG_0071.jpg

Top Bottom