Geez I can do some stupid things!

KyNola

Decided I would grill some bone-in ribeyes on 829. Break out the flame zone pan, setpoint to high and let it rip, lid closed to take the heat as high as possible. Temp hits 485, steaks go in, close lid again. About 5 minutes in I notice TONS of smoke coming out of 829. I'm thinking "this can't be good". I open the lid to see what is going on. Nothing on fire......for about 5 seconds and then FIRE! All of the fat that rendered from the steaks and was sitting on the flame zone pan only needed the breath of fresh air to spontaneously combust. I immediately opened the warmer box and grabbed the steaks off of the grill and tossed them into the warmer box. Immediately closed the lid on the grill and lowered the setpoint and the fire was out within 15 seconds. The good news is 829 was not damaged in any manner and the steaks were perfect. The bad news? As I was closing the lid I saw all of the "seasoning" that had accumulated on the interior of 829 fall off in sheets and expose bare stainless steel again. I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning 829's interior.

Oh well, could have been much worse and I learned yet another lesson about the MAK.

Scallywag

Had the same problem with the seasoning coming off in sheets.. guess thats our grills way of saying "CLEAN ME"

MAK DADDY

Yes the new 2012 stainless models get REALLY hot over the flame zone! I have been clocking mine right about 590 to 610 degrees at the grate level on 'High", don't let the air temp of the TC in the corner fool you with the FZ open.

KyNola

No worries, putting that stainless to the test I see :)
I thought that was what you wanted me to do! :)

roburado, if I recall correctly the retro fit flame zone pan has covers for them. You could try it with one side covered and maybe not get temps that high. Otherwise, with the new flame diffuser and both sides of the flame zone open and 590 set to "high" I would think you're going to get those kinds of temps. I'll yield to MD for the definitive answer though.

omahajs

I haven't used my full flamezone much yet and not on HIGH. Is this a common problem and how to prevent?

Thanks.

Decided I would grill some bone-in ribeyes on 829. Break out the flame zone pan, setpoint to high and let it rip, lid closed to take the heat as high as possible. Temp hits 485, steaks go in, close lid again. About 5 minutes in I notice TONS of smoke coming out of 829. I'm thinking "this can't be good". I open the lid to see what is going on. Nothing on fire......for about 5 seconds and then FIRE! All of the fat that rendered from the steaks and was sitting on the flame zone pan only needed the breath of fresh air to spontaneously combust. I immediately opened the warmer box and grabbed the steaks off of the grill and tossed them into the warmer box. Immediately closed the lid on the grill and lowered the setpoint and the fire was out within 15 seconds. The good news is 829 was not damaged in any manner and the steaks were perfect. The bad news? As I was closing the lid I saw all of the "seasoning" that had accumulated on the interior of 829 fall off in sheets and expose bare stainless steel again. I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning 829's interior.

Oh well, could have been much worse and I learned yet another lesson about the MAK.

RickB

No, the steel body doesn't get as hot. It will be hotter in a larger area than your old pan though :)

Got the retro fit arriveing tomorrow. Will we be lookin at a higher temp to the right , left or same all over? Without the covers.

MAK DADDY

Our goal was to spread it out as even as possible, we had to do the most work to get it to the right hence the diffuser being offset to the left. That said the center seems to be the hottest area when cooking on high due to the glowing diffuser underneath :)

KyNola

Whoa everybody! I didn't intend for this to become a panic thread. Maybe I need to rephrase. I didn't set the MAK on fire. There was no fire down in the firepot lower chamber area. The only flames were from the beef fat that rendered out of the steaks on to the surface of the flame zone pan. Just like when you cook something on charcoal and fat drips down on to the charcoal and you have a flare up. Relax guys, you're not going to burn up your MAKs.

Bob, I am so sorry. I didn't intend to cause this sort of reaction. I'll be happy to delete the entire thread to avoid any further angst of MAK owners that may have ordered the retro fit pans.

TTNuge

Please send me said flame zone pan ASAP to alleviate any angst caused by the over reaction of said internet personalities.

Sincerely,
Me

omahajs

Lol. I just had a roof put over my deck (to proect my MAK 2) and just got to thinking. I just bought a fire extinguisher as well! I'm going to use the full flame zone and keep the PB @450. All is good.

Please send me said flame zone pan ASAP to alleviate any angst caused by the over reaction of said internet personalities.

Sincerely,
Me

Top Bottom