Generator Question

OneBallBiscuit

Possibly joining a contest up in CT...no electricity provided at the event but generators are allowed. We have lost power at home a bunch lately so might be a good investment on top of using for comp. Any idea how much watts I would need to run 2 traegers at same time?

squirtthecat

I've run my 070 on a 500 watt inverter... The trick is getting it *lit* first. The hotrod will eat those 500W in a hurry. I would think a 2Kw generator would do the trick, but I'd fire them up 10 minutes apart.

FilthyBeast

Not sure about the Traegers but it should have a label that tells you. My Memphis pro says: 425 watts lighting and 125 watts cooking.

Big Poppa

Administrator
we have two honda 2000's rarely use both...but we also use an invertor thanks to Jim....we call it the Jimbotron

chaz345

Possibly joining a contest up in CT...no electricity provided at the event but generators are allowed. We have lost power at home a bunch lately so might be a good investment on top of using for comp. Any idea how much watts I would need to run 2 traegers at same time?

I'm running my lil'Tex off a 400watt inverter at a farmer's market. Once lit it only draws about 50 watts. The label on it says 200 watts but that's obviously it's peak.

chaz345

Do you happen to have a link for one?

Got mine at Harbor Freight for like $30 on sale. I think they are usually $40. It has clamps and connects straight to the battery,doesn't plug in to cigarette lighter port. One other note, the 3(4) position analog controller for the Traeger's needs a true sine wave inverter which is HUGE $$, like $200. So if you don't have the digital thermostat control don't use a cheap inverter, you will fry the controller. In my case the digital controller was on sale for $70 so the cost of it plus the cheap inverter was still less than an expensive inverter.

Here's a link:
Inverter - Harbor Freight Tools
It's Item #66814.

Since you are going to be running 2 grills, I'd either get 2 of them and use two different batteries or get the 750 watt one just to be safe. If both are running their hot rod at the same time you'll be pushing 400 watts and these cheap inverters do not like to run at full power for very long.

OneBallBiscuit

Got mine at Harbor Freight for like $30 on sale. I think they are usually $40. It has clamps and connects straight to the battery,doesn't plug in to cigarette lighter port. One other note, the 3(4) position analog controller for the Traeger's needs a true sine wave inverter which is HUGE $$, like $200. So if you don't have the digital thermostat control don't use a cheap inverter, you will fry the controller. In my case the digital controller was on sale for $70 so the cost of it plus the cheap inverter was still less than an expensive inverter.

Here's a link:
Inverter - Harbor Freight Tools
It's Item #66814.

Since you are going to be running 2 grills, I'd either get 2 of them and use two different batteries or get the 750 watt one just to be safe. If both are running their hot rod at the same time you'll be pushing 400 watts and these cheap inverters do not like to run at full power for very long.

Thanks. Really appreciate it.

MossyMO

Wife and I picked up a couple used Honda eu2000i's a few weeks ago to run the AC in our camper; much quieter than our Briggs and Stratton 6000 watt. When we were looking for the Honda's I had the pellet grill in mind for another use for one of the generators.

Top Bottom