Getting My Ribs Dialed In On The MAK

Big_Jake

OK I did some St. Louis style ribs yesterday and I think I have learned my new pit.Here is what I did and this is how they came out.

Rubbed down and stuck them in a food saver bag over night.I then opened them the next day and gave them another layer of rub before putting them on the bottom grates with no foil and set the MAK for 235.
Ok I think y'all were right about the no foil thing.My temps were more solid (between) 241-250 (on my Maverick) and I saw less swings. :D
I cooked them for 5 hours total,after 2 hours I started spritzing them with apple juice once an hour for the next 2 hours.then after 4 1/2 hours I layered one side with sauce and let them cook for 15 minutes,I then flipped,sauced and cooked for another 15.
Pulled them off and set them on a plate with some foil over them and let them rest for 15 minutes.Here is what they looked like.

0809121857.jpg

^This is the entire rack after the rest.I added another layer of sauce.

0809121912.jpg

^Nice smoke ring and you can see they are pretty moist.

0809121914.jpg

^A close up shot.

0809121919.jpg

^This is how I like my ribs,they come clean off the bone when you bite into them,but not all the meat "falls" off the bone when you do.Btw this is not from one bite.This is 3 or 4 bites from each side of the rib.
My wife also gave me several compliments on the "texture" of these.

Last edited:

Moomtaz

They do look good. Tell me though, did the come cut down to ten bones or did you cut the last three off yourself before cooking. I was just wondering if there was an advantage to that. Sometimes my last three shorter bones get overlooked because they have less meat.

Big_Jake

Thanks guys,yeah the wife and I were very happy with the results.
Moomtaz,yeah I always count 10 over and cut the rest off.They always come out dry so I do not like to serve them,or eat them.
Sparky,yeah they look a bit darker in that first pic than they actually were.

:cool:

Moomtaz

The end ribs, or dookie ribs as I call them, might always be overdone but I still eat them. Some of my guests even prefer them because I tend to cook my ribs competition style, meaning not fall off the bone. Those dookie ribs are always fall off the bone so some people like em better. I kind of like the char on them sometimes. Let's face it, you put a good rub and barbecue sauce on a piece of wood and I'll eat it.

Top Bottom