GMG Daniel Boon grill soot question

Markdc

Hey everybody,
I am new to this forum. I'm Mark. I live in southern California. I love to grill, smoke and recently bought a pellet grill.
Well I brined a whole chicken and wanted to cook it on the GMG grill. I wanted it cooked not smoked for hours so I ran the grill at 300 degrees. It took about 90 minutes to get the breast to 165. Nice and moist but had an ugly greasy soot on the skin. I even place it on a small pan with a rack so the fat wouldn't cause this to happen. What is the problem? I have a vertical propane smoker that would have had this bird looking like it belonged on a magazine cover in the same time. I would put the pic up but it's too large at 3.2 mb.
Nice to be here. thanks in advance. PS I know I could search on this board and others on this subject but like to interact with people from the git go.

TentHunter

First of all, welcome to the forum, Mark. It's great having you here!

Don't ever hesitate to post a question.

Now, can you reduce the pic size so it can be posted? I can't imagine what may have caused soot, unless your fire was burning dirty for some reason. Be sure you clean the firepot often. A clogged firepot can cause the fire to not get good oxygen flow, which can cause soot.

The only other question I can think to ask is what pellets did you use? Pellets can make a HUGE difference.

chaz345

I find that soot is usually caused by a cleaning problem of some sort, either a fire not getting enough air or a grease pan that's smoking because it's got to much grease in it. With the Traeger I have, I line the grease drip pan with foil but sometimes some works its way in under the foil and will smoke a bunch and give a nasty soot taste. Clean out the firepot, make sure nothing is blocking the fan or the airways, and clean the grill completely and see if the soot problem persists.

Top Bottom