GMG Davy Crockett Wifi Package Deal now at BPS!

JessieBPS

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to post a link to the newest addition to the BPS website: The GMG Davy Crockett Wifi Package.

This Special is $499, and includes:
  • GMG Davy Crockett w/WiFi capability
  • Grill Cover
  • Tote Bag
  • 2 x GMG Rubs
  • 2 x GMG Sauces
  • 16lbs of GMG Gourmet Blend Pellets
  • FREE Shipping within the continental US

There is also dual voltage control on this pellet grill (110-volt or 12-volt), you can power it 3 ways: car battery (comes with alligator clips), car phone jack, or wall outlet.

We are also offering our Partial Payment-Layaway Plan on this smoker, just like all of our other smokers (Terms & Conditions here).

Thanks for checking it out, feel free to call us if you have any questions: 877-828-0727, or you can email us at [email protected]!

sptucker

This is a "smoking" deal! I borrowed one of these last Thanksgiving before I bought my MAK, and it did a great job on a 16lb turkey...

sptucker

I know! It was my first pellet cook ever, and is what caused me to make the jump! I just wanted something a bit bigger... But it would be utterly perfect for camping and such.

TrickyDick

Been looking for a portable grill!

What are the details on this? What is it made of? What's the warranty? How much current would it draw (would I be able to start car after some grilling?)
What is the cool down cycle for grilling at sporting events for instance, so that I can pack it up and go after grilling? Is there a way to secure it from theft during a cool down cycle?

Any owners here, or is this a brand new product?

Edit- just checked the GMG website. Not a ton of detail, but they say 100W igniter, 60W operational power demands. Two year warranty. Shows a photo of it sitting on a plastic tailgate bedliner while smoke is coming out the stack... Wonder if you can really cook (incl grill) on this without melting the bedliner. Also how long is the lighter outlet cord? Can it be plugged in from the tailgate without an extension?

Thanks!
TD

Last edited:

TentHunter

I got to see one in action this past Fall and I was pretty impressed that they got that much performance squeezed into a relatively small portable size.

armyguy209

I've had one since last year. But mine isn't the WiFi model. It is a nice little grill. I bought mine more so for tailgating and camping. It is doable but these things are not super light. I am 35 and in good shape. It is a lot easier if you have two people. I haven't ran it off just my truck power yet. I've actually been using it at my house as a primary grill until the Mak 2 star comes out. I will tell you this though, at 150 degrees, this thing puts out some smoke. I use it now to make my jerky with also. I built a homemade second rack for it so I have some more space.

I had one little problem with it in the beginning, and GMG customer service was outstanding. I would not hesitate to buy again. Once I get my Mak though, this thing will probably get sold. IMO, you either get portability or quality. It's hard to get both. If they made it too light, then quality usually suffers. Once thing to help is to make sure your hopper is empty before traveling.

Last edited:

TrickyDick

I pulled the trigger on this today. Can't wait to try it out.
Can you explain why it's important to empty the hopper before traveling?

I was told by the GMG staff that indeed, as pictured on their website, you can rest it on the tailgate with plastic liner, and operate without melting anything. I might get a flame retardant mat or something just in case though. Wa told it takes about 15 minutes to heat up and cool down.

Need to come up with a security cable to keep it from disappearing. Was thinking about a bicycle cable lock snaked through the hitch receiver cotter pin hole (or whatever it's called) snaked between the tailgate and the truck bed with tailgate open. Or else buy the yeti cooler cable lock and bolt it or weld it to the grill.

TD

It apparently has a retractable grease tray if you wanted to grill over the firepot directly, such as for searing? How well does it work for searing burgers, chicken breasts, and steaks? GMG says it can sear fine, but a little owner / forum member opinion carries a lot of weight with me.

armyguy209

I just empty the hopper because it shaves off a lot of the weight if you don't have somebody to help you load and unload. No other reason than that.

I have only ran mine on the concrete so far so I'm not sure about melting the liner, but it really doesn't get hot enough with the legs keeping it far enough from the ground to melt anything.

It does take about 15 mins or so to heat up, but sometimes quicker depending on the outside temp. Mine seems to get up to temp really quick after it actually gets going. After you turn the power off, it goes into high fan mode for 15 minutes to help cool it down, and put the remaining ash out.

The grease tray basically has two plates with holes in them that sit on top of each other. There is a little handle on the top tray that you pull or push on. Basically it covers the holes if you push it one way, and lines the holes up for direct grilling if you push it the other way. I don't think it puts out very good sear marks at all, but none the less the food that comes off of it is still really good.

Last edited:

TrickyDick

I just empty the hopper because it shaves off a lot of the weight if you don't have somebody to help you load and unload. No other reason than that.

I have only ran mine on the concrete so far so I'm not sure about melting the liner, but it really doesn't get hot enough with the legs keeping it far enough from the ground to melt anything.

It does take about 15 mins or so to heat up, but sometimes quicker depending on the outside temp. Mine seems to get up to temp really quick after it actually gets going. After you turn the power off, it goes into high fan mode for 15 minutes to help cool it down, and put the remaining ash out.

The grease tray basically has two plates with holes in them that sit on top of each other. There is a little handle on the top tray that you pull or push on. Basically it covers the holes if you push it one way, and lines the holes up for direct grilling if you push it the other way. I don't think it puts out very good sear marks at all, but none the less the food that comes off of it is still really good.

Thanks! I think its supposed to be landing on my porch tonight, but so far, nada...

The GMG shows a pic of smoke coming out the stack and the thing is on a truck tailgate with a hard plastic liner and the legs are folded so the metal body is resting on the plastic. I think I am going to use an insulated fireproof mat just in case, or use the legs, but that might be too high up to operate.

if I'm lucky, I might get an opportunity to use it this weekend...time will tell.

I was sort of afraid about the searing ability, but I do have a cast iron reversible griddle/grill grid piece, though that would be one more thing to haul and difficult to clean once greasy, and hard to secure in a moving vehicle if its still hot and greasy. I might invest in some of those aluminum "grill grates". Need to do a couple test cook before taking on the road I think.

ANyways, Thanks!

TD

TrickyDick

Did an initial setup last night. Fairly impressive! Instructions are scant. No info on how to setup the WiFi feature. The grill grates included, there are two, are made of chromed steel it seems. Very thin gauge. I doubt they will be able to muster a sear. 8-3/4" x 12-5/8" is the size for each. the hunt is on for better grates.
I cranked it to 550º, though didn't verify internal temp with a second thermometer. I'm probably not going to be doing much more than fast and hot type cooks with this, but who knows. Need to put together a travel kit for safe portable grilling.
I really doubt that you would want to leave it setting on your tailgate liner. I am going to use a leftover piece of travertine tile with a flame retardant mat beneath when I use it.

TD

Or_duck_smoker

Just bought one of these, my first pellet grill ever. I liked the idea of taking it to the tailgate and no doubt it will perform well.

My first piece of meat was a 9lb pork shoulder, cooked for 15 hours total. About 10 hours @180 degrees then wrapped in foil and bumped to 220 for the remainder. I have always been a charcoal/wood advocate but these pellet grills are cool!

One word on the wifi, I had the smoker on my back deck but the connection was not strong enough to stay connected when I was on the second story of my home. It's a bit of a gimmick, don't get the idea you can fire up your smoker from work:)

I am really impressed with the GMG, I live in the land of Traeger but they are very expensive. I bought mine from an independent BBQ dealer of many brands and went with this one for my first.

TrickyDick

Yeah. The wifi is different than what MAK is like. The MAK connects to your home network via WiFi. The GMG is like a hub that you connect your phone to and then launch the GMG app to operate the grill.

The grates are really flimsy looking. I bought a set of three grill grates custom cut to fit. Three is nearly the perfect fit.

Also, though I've not tested on the truck bed liner on tailgate, I will be using a spare piece of tile propped up on some metal scrap square tubing for an additional air barrier. When I ran the test burn in on countertop of outdoor kitchen, the counter was too hot to touch afterward (grill set at 550° and I powered down once it hit temp). Checked the counter an hour or so later. Certainly will not be putting this into a tote bag without a good thirty minutes of cool down.

For security, I bought a receiver lock for the hitch with a sturdy cable, I can loop through the handles. Granted, a dedicated thief could use bolt cutters. Hack saw, or some tools to remove the handles...

TD

swamper8

some clarification on WIFI

A few comments and points to clarify:

1.) The grill does not sit directly on its metal base when on a tailgate. It has four spring feet which hold the grill approx. 1" off the surface it's sitting on. That said, when I did the burn-in on my GMG DC, I only had it to 400 and I partially melted the plastic table it was sitting on. It really boils down to what kind of plastic is under it. Putting a fire blanket underneath would not be a bad idea IMO. I never go above 250 with it typically and my table is fine.
2.) The WIFI on this grill doesn't just connect to your phone. Much like alot of other WIFI devices, you only first connect directly to your phone to get the WIFI setup. So you discover/connect to the grill with your phone, click the WIFI button. The grill will then recognize your home network. You then enter your home network password and the grill connects to your home WIFI. Then you can go back and re-connect your phone to your WIFI. A device (like phone) which regularly pairs with another device (like a grill) would really be BLUETOOTH. It would be very inconvenient to have to disconnect your phone from your home WIFI every time you want to connect/use the GMG APP.

There are detailed instructions on WIFI setup on the GMG website. I don't know if I can post links here or not.....

Top Bottom