Greetings, my name is Craig Yamasaki (Sam U Rye)

Sam U Rye

Greetings, my name is Craig Yamasaki (Sam U Rye) and I'm such a newbie, my Brinkman Pellet Smoker Grill hasn't yet arrived yet from Home Depot, however, my Ortech Digital Control has, and I'm reading through: "Peace, Love and BBQ" and "Smoke and Spice", and pondering whether I should get a Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator.

Brief Background. I bought an (unamed) $89.00 Vertical Smoker that I added a thermometer to, used several times and became enchanted with what it cooked. Unfortunately, one winter season later, and it had rusted through and turned into a miniature "Mad Max" movie disaster site. I did, however, remember what the food tasted like, and so fast forward ten years, and here I am, retired, ready to move my Weber BBQ Grill over a few feet on my patio, and start smoking my brains out.

It seems to me that the Cold Smoker attachment has the advantage of using wood chunks, that would add a dimensionality to the smoke. I do know that when I like something I can on occasion become abit OCP, and the adage, "If a little is good, a lot is better" doesn't necessarily apply when BBQ'ing or Smokin'.

SO...Any comments on the Cold Smoker attachment? My only other purchases are Frog Pads (teflon grill mats) and anticipated Hickory, Mesquite and Apple pellets. Oh Yes, what would you suggest my first entry to smoke on my new cooking venue should be?

Thanks in advance for your sage advise.
Sam U Rye

scooter

Welcome to PS.com!

I'd wait on the smoke daddy to see if the smoke level from your cooker is sufficient for your tastes. I attached a smoke daddy to my pellet cooker to help add smoke flavor in two areas where pellet cookers are weakest at adding smoke flavor: 1) anything cooked under 3 hours, 2) anything cooked over 325*
There are several alternatives such as the amaz'n tube. They all have positives and negatives which you'll need to weigh out in your decision process, if you decide you need a smoke generator to elevate the smoke flavor from your pellet cooker.

Sam U Rye

Thanks Scooter,
As you surmised, I am newer than new can be. At sixty two, I'm amazed at what things we can dedicate ourselves to, and as the smoker was a Birthday present to myself, I figured this would be as good a thing to get religious with as any. I've long heard about the carcinogenic factors involved in grilled meat, however, it seems as though I read someone comment that this kind of BBQ avoids the "fat dripping on charcoal" factor that causes the cancer creating phenomenon associated with grilling. So it goes...I hope.

Thanks again for your advise. I'll look into the "amaz'n tube", and belated congratulations on your awards. I might head out to La Quinta this December to watch you in action. By the way, do you have a favorite you like to smoke...

muebe

Welcome from Southern California Craig!

I have a smoke daddy. I used to have it attached to my old Traeger. It worked well but there is a learning curve to it. They have an adjustable air pump and that helps get it dialed in to create lots of smoke.

I also have the Amazn tube smoker and find that is easier to use. Does not require any power and can provide smoke for about 6 hours if filled all the way. The small smoke daddy I have gives about an hour of smoke before you gotta refill it.

So Cal Smoker

Welcome to the forum Craig. You've come to the right place for learning and fun. The folks here are just the best. Good luck and good smoking.

Tatonka3A2

Welcome from North Dakota!

I would recommend the Amazn tube smoker over the smoke daddy - the Amazn tube smoker is very easy to use and requires no modifications or drilling into your grill to use, not to mention it is less expensive. Sounds like you have some great reading material!!

Sam U Rye

Dear Muebe,
Thanks for the tip. Say, what does it mean to be described as a "Senior Member"? Is this an age, or amount of smoke, you've put through your rig? ;-)

I'm 62, Do I qualify?

Regards,
Craig

Sam U Rye

Thanks to folks like you, I feel very welcome. Well...after two hours of learning all the alternate (except correct) ways of assembling my Brinkman Smoker, I FINALLY, have it assembled. There are no instructions or hints of "breaking in" the smoker. Any tips on seasoning? Is it even necessary?

Thanks again,
Craig

Sam U Rye

Great Tatonka,
I'll look into it. I'd rather not be drilling into my grill that I've just assembled. Say, any tips on breaking in the smoker?
Thanks again,
Craig

Sam U Rye

Hi Patrick,

I'm from Newport Beach, California, and feeling pretty lucky. For example, today, it is Sunny, and a cloudless sky, AND 75 degrees. After two hours of doing it wrong, I FINALLY got my Brinkman Smoker assembled. Must be one of those axioms, "there are a thousand wrong ways of assembling things, and sadly, only one right way." I'm now an expert on all the wrong ways of putting my grill together, BUT it is up and ready to go. Any seasoning or breaking it in, suggestions you might have, would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to you,
Craig

Top Bottom