Grilling burgers on the 4 star - Why I am I so nervous about this?

Saxguy

I've been using my four star for a few years but have never used the grilling function. In fact, it's been years since I've actually grilled burgers. We're having 40-50 people over tomorrow. Anyone have tips for setting the left/right pots for different zones, if necessary? What temp am I looking for on the preheat? I'll be doing 1/2 lb patties. I have a habit of overcooking food when I grill, so some timing suggestions would be appreciated.

onionhead

I really enjoy grilling burgers on my MAK 2. I do both hand-patted, and frozen (Costco). I will smoke them for 30 minutes and then turn the heat up to 450F. I do not remove the burgers, but let them cook on the way up in temperature. After the setpoint has been turned up, I will cook the burgers for 10 - 12 minutes. This gives them a pink center and very juicy - just the way my family likes them. Even though the setpoint is for 450F, I do not reach that temperature before the burgers are finished, and these burgers are 1/3#. Also note, my grill is at 7,400 feet in elevation, which may make for some differences in cooking. Good luck!

Top Bottom