Hamer pellets

Koolranch

I was wondering opinions on these pellets. They have no fillers or binders. They are for a stove however they are being sold at a local hearth and patio store for use with there pellet grills. I called the manufacturer and they said it is no problem. Thoughts? Have any of you used pellets for stoves. They say that they are all hardwood and mostly oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Poppa

Administrator
Maybe ok but I wouldnt touch pellets that werent specifically rated food grade...also cheapers pellets can have lower btus and generate a lot of ash

CarterQ

Stick with pellets designed for pellet cookers.

Fuel pellets don't have to be food grade could be made from numerous wood wastes from things like furniture and flooring. There may be glue, stain, and non food grade lubricants in them.

Like good quality food, good quality pellets will give you a much better smoking experience.

Last edited:

scooter

I've toyed with the idea of using quality non food grade pellets when I have brisket or butts foiled. In those hours I figure I could use my pellet dump on the MAK to quickly remove the food grade pellets and replace with non food grade pellets while the meat is foiled. I haven't acted on it yet.
I've never given serious consideration to using non food grade pellets while the meat would be directly exposed to the smoke (and whatever impurities it contains). The health of my family is just so much more important than saving some money on pellets.

CarterQ

Even cooking covered food or just heating up the grill you could be contaminating the grill grates and inside the cooker. Scooters right not worth the gamble.

HoDeDo

"Mostly oak" is what would scare me.... They can't tell you the makeup of the pellet? ... but assuming both a foodgrade and non food grade are both 100% oak.... The process for the food grade pellets uses lubricants that are safe for consumption (food safe oils) in the production. For non-foodgrade pellets, any lubricant can be used in the pelletizing, and equipment... (usually petroleum based)... so stick with food grade pellets.

Top Bottom