Happy Food

CarterQ

Did a simple dinner last night of grilled Snapper. While at the seafood counter I grabbed some crab legs on a whim to throw on the grill along with the fish. Got em home and made up a little clarified garlic butter to go along with the crab.

As I cracked into the crab and dipped it into the butter and the first bite hit my mouth this wonderful feeling just swept over me and I got a goofy grin on my face. Then it popped into my head, crab is one of those happy foods for me, I just feel good when I'm eating it.

Everyone has those foods simple or complex that just make you go ahhhh. How about you? What are the foods that just put a silly grin on your face?

Last edited:

RickB

This one goes back a while. In the late 70’s and early 80’s I was dating my wife. Her parents always went down to a sleepy fishing town in Florida which is now known as Destin. They usually invited us down for a weekend. In the resort was a restaurant called Louisiana Lagniappe. I believe it’s still open. They have a dish called Oysters Lagniappe. Just typing that made my mouth water. Best oysters bar none I have ever eaten. Took me 15 years to get that recipe but now it’s widely known. Might be tough for you people on the west coast to get some gulf oysters, but if you can here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Oysters Lagniappe

24 Medium Oysters (In shell)
1/2 lb Lump Crab Meat
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/8 lb Salted Butter
3/4 cup Finely Chopped Onions
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Celery
1/8 cup Finely Chopped Green Pepper
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp White and Red Pepper
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1 tbs Finely Chopped Parsley
1/4 cup Finely Chopped Green Onions

Sauté the onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic in the butter until the onions are clear. Add the red pepper, white pepper, and bouillon cubes. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed. Add the heavy cream and continue heating until the mixture is bubbling. Add cheese and remove from heat. Then fold in the bread crumbs, parsley and green onions and allow the stuffing to cool. Place the oysters in the 1/2 shell and cover the oysters with the lump crabmeat. Spread the stuffing over the crabmeat and oysters and top with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 6 Servings

Last edited:

Rip

Don't laugh, for me it's baked beans on the smoker, some brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce, leftover pulled pork, then an hour or so of simmering picking up smoky goodness....makes me smile just thinking about it!

Oh, and some bacon!
IMG_2175sm.jpg

Last edited:

TentHunter

For me it's homemade smoked Kielbasa stuffed in natural casings. It's such a simple food, but the snap of the natural casing & the hot-off-the-grill smokiness just can't be beat.

AND... Ironically I have a batch smoking on the MAK right now as I type this!

Buffalotom

Oh yes..AT the same time! Years back Kroger used to sell the king crab in 20# boxes for 10 bucks a pound. Sure miss the good old days.

So do I. Now they are running thirty bucks a pound. When I do buy smaller quantities I eat it very slow and smile. Lordy, is that good.

scooter

Lightly smoked king crab legs and lightly smoked lobster tail dipped in lightly smoked melted butter.

Salmonsmoker

Slow cooked pot roast,w/ egg noodles, and pot roast gravy on the noodles, and garden fresh carrots, and fresh baked apple crisp for dessert, and ZZZZZZZ........you just know all is right in the world.

sparky

Slow cooked pot roast,w/ egg noodles, and pot roast gravy on the noodles, and garden fresh carrots, and fresh baked apple crisp for dessert, and ZZZZZZZ........you just know all is right in the world.

i want to change mine to this. ya, this is mine too. i like this alot.

fishingbouchman

What is it about family recipes, and they are grandpas. Tacos, tomallies for breakfast, and BBQ. Oh man he would have BBQ layout. Brisket, couple slabs of ribs, chicken, and sausage. And that was for four people.

cowgirl

Smoked king crab legs for me.... and bacon wrapped cold smoked bacon. I let out a little whimper when I take the first bite of either. lol

Top Bottom