Happy New Year's Eve...

Notails

Just got a Traeger grill for Christmas and cooking steaks for the first time tonight. Ribs tomorrow. This looks like a good place for information exchange and just kicking back. Looking forward to spending time here...

Notails

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've got a big slab of pork ribs smoking since this morning on the Traeger. I was a little disappointed in the filets last night however. They were roughly 2" cuts and I cooked them on high heat for about 17 minutes total time. I'm more used to cooking on a charcoal Weber kettle grill and the heat is direct and the char factor is high. And they cook in about 10-12 minutes depending on the fire and outside conditions. I love the Traeger for fish, fowl, and pork but am on the fence regarding beef? Still, I'm gonna give it another shot with steaks. Or maybe a flank steak or London broil? Any tips for grilling beef on the Traeger?
Many thanks in advance...

SmokinMAK

Hi Notails,

One recommendation you will get is to cook your steaks on the Traeger till about 10-15 degrees below the internal temp you want. Have your charcoal grill fired-up and very hot. Some people modify theirs so that the coals are just under the grate.

Pull your steaks and throw them on the smokin hot grill. Pull at the desired internal temp, then let rest for 5 minutes.

No one will be disappointed with the results. Great smoke flavor, and great sear. oh yes I almost forgot. Be sure to season with some Big Poppa Double Secret Steak Rub. ;-)

Post pictures and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scooter

Hi Notails,

One recommendation you will get is to cook your steaks on the Traeger till about 10-15 degrees below the internal temp you want. Have your charcoal grill fired-up and very hot. Some people modify theirs so that the coals are just under the grate.

Pull your steaks and throw them on the smokin hot grill. Pull at the desired internal temp, then let rest for 5 minutes.

No one will be disappointed with the results. Great smoke flavor, and great sear. oh yes I almost forgot. Be sure to season with some Big Poppa Double Secret Steak Rub. ;-)

Post pictures and let us know how it goes!

bullseye
Totally agree with the above. You can use 225-250 on your Traeger then 1-2 mins per side over white hot charcoal. Doing this you'll be cooking the external meat different than the internal meat. Cooking your steaks low and slow you'll have an even pink color inside from edge to edge, top to bottom so your internal meat will be nice an uniformly pink then quick flaming the outside meat you'll have that nice grilled exterior meat.
This works best with steaks over 1.5" thick and roasts.

IMG_5540.jpg

tritipsliced.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

Top Bottom