Hasty-Bake User Inputs Requested

sptucker

It's been a while since I posted, but I have an itch and must quiz The Collective!

First off, a relatively obscure fact about me is that I was born and raised in Tulsa, OK -- home of Hasty-Bake Grills. I've had many a meal cooked on these gems, and now I've decided to return to my roots and add one to my personal grilling arsenal. As a result, I am going to pare my collection down to a Hasty-Bake and my MAK 2 Star. I'm certain this is all I will need. OK, I'll probably keep my OKJoe's offset, too, because of sentimental value. Plus it would require a crane to move it. ;-)

The question is: Legacy or Gourmet? I have read every single web word on these two, and I still can't make up my mind. So, if you have direct experience, please help me out. Especially if you have cooked on both.

The Legacy is the original. How can it not be enough? Big Poppa says it's the starter kit, but I'm not sure I see why. Here's some tidbits I've gathered, please chime in if you have an opinion.

- Legacy rotisserie mounts below the grill grates. Is this really a big deal as far as removing grates, etc.?
- No second shelf on Legacy. Grill extender solves this and it's cheap. Not sure I would use second shelf anyway.
- Gourmet hood is 5" taller (based on grill height specs), but I don't know what the actual grill to top of hood measurement is on either one. Surely a legacy will hold an enormous turkey, right?
- Gourmet offers protection from the sides when hood is open. Legacy does not - This may be the best reason to get a Gourmet. Is there less room to work because of this?
- Gourmet has glass panel in hood - I consider this a big negative, but you can order without glass, which is what I would do.

Other issues?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Paul

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey now! I read this and contribute every day!

The MAK 2 Star and the Hasty Bake are the best one two punch you can do. If you look at my facebook I have filets and carne asada in the last ten days on the Hasty Bake.

The Gourmet or the Continental are the ones to get. I always prefer going bigger if you can swing it. better airflow and more capacity When you need it and you don have it you always kick your self for not getting the right one.

Why do I prefer the Gourmet? Cooking is about having the most zones to cook The ability to move food or start steaks on the very top shelf on the opposite side of the coals is wonderful. With these units you can really get the fire a long way from the food and obvoiusly with the ability to raise and lower the fire you can get it as close as possible. The real key is understanding exactly where it needs to be.

I also like that only the front opens as opposed to the others. Hasty bake thermometers are at least 75 degrees off and they really barely control temp...they cook at what they cook at...the minute you understand that and let it cook the better your cooks will be...but there is a better seal with only one side opening.

The window is useless.

I have cooked ribs on the hasty bake....2 hours and perfect.

I have cooked at least a hundred meals on the tiny ranger and so many on the gourmet....

If you do decide to buy one give us a shot and your business

sptucker

Thank you Big Poppa -- your detailed answer is exactly what I wanted! I am leaning towards the Gourmet mainly because of the front-only opening. Your point about starting steaks on the top shelf far from the fire was something I had not thought of. Is the top shelf higher than a HB grill extender? And can the top shelf be removed? Any comments on the rotisserie -- is it worth getting?

Hey, I know you are on here all the time answering questions! I am grateful to have you as our host and resident guru on all things grilling. If and when I buy, I assure you it will be from BPS (unless I find one on craigslist or at a deep discount elsewhere :rolleyes:)

jimsbarbecue

We have a Legacy and Love it. If we could convert it to a gourmet I would. Seriously we have over 10 BBQ/Smokers in the backyard and If need to trim that down, I could get down to three if needed. A MAK 2 Star, The Hasty Bake and of course The Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP.

sptucker

Thanks Jim! My mind's made up. I'm going with the Gourmet. Soon I will be living on virtual Tulsa time. :)

I am trying to sell my Lynx gasser first. Poor thing is just sitting there not rusting (thank you 304 SS!)...

sptucker

Update - I wound up buying a dual-finish HB Gourmet straight from Hasty-Bake in my hometown of Tulsa, OK. Long story short -- I got a good deal on a slightly damaged unit -- the folks at HB were absolutely wonderful to work with and I plan to drop into their showroom every time I go back for a visit!

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful info -- I could not be any happier with the Gourmet. I have had it for over a month and I'm convinced that it can cook ANYTHING! The rumors that it is not a good smoker are completely baseless; I did a Boston butt on it as an experiment, and it turned out possibly the best pulled pork I've ever made (and that's a LOT of pulled pork). Not as convenient as the MAK, but it can do it if you so desire...

So, I agree that an HB and a MAK are the perfect combo. I sold everything else in the last few weeks and I don't miss any of it. My deck finally has room for socializing for a change!

Big Poppa, I am sorry I did not fulfill my statement a few posts above - but I did get a deal I could not pass up. :cool: I am still a loyal customer (bought the HB grill extender and rotiss from BPS)!!!

Top Bottom