Hatfield and McCoy Comp

Hey guys just letting you know BBQ Comp has started. Wish me luck :). We are smoking 2 racks of baby backs and as many pork buts as your cooker can hold. What's wired is the butts are boneless and only 2 1/2 lbs a piece. I'm going up against huge refrigerator style pits so I'm feeling a little small. GC is 1k so I'm excited too.

Roger that Big Poppa=). I'm using your rubs so I think it'll give me an advantage. It's 2 am we got 16 butts on the 1 star. Crazy amount. All is well. Only 5 ppl competing. Very small comp but I'm having a blast. Cooking like I cook at home. Only one guy here that has competed in big time BBQ comps. Trying to stay awake=)

Ran into a brick wall at the 6 hr mark. Huge stall from IT of 115 to 125. Freaked me out. I was sitting on 125 with 3 1/2 hrs to go b4 turn in. Not foiled. Butts were tough as sandpaper. Had to cheat and wrap them at 126 and cranked up the heat a little. We'll a lot. Happy ending though. Butts finally felt tender around 200 to 202 at the 8 hr mark. Pulled em and FTC

scooter

It's all about making adjustments on the fly if necessary and rolling with the punches. Hopefully you took pics. Would love to see them.

Good luck!

Ok I'm home now. Comps over. No sleep for 36 hrs, but I'm good. Is it like this at every comp heh. Second place overall($250) plus peoples choice award($500). Not to bad=). Had a good team and thanks to you guys for the advice, encouragement and confidence to do it.

scooter

Yeah, it's like that at every comp but the higher you place in the comp, the less you will care! :)
Congrats on your RGC!!

Meat Man

Wow way to get it done. You must have had those butts stacked one on top of the other. I'm not surprised you had trouble, that's a lot of meat on a one star.

Top Bottom