HELP! Fire ran out on Brisket. What to do?

regency

Hey, I am doing my first brisket. Smoked for 4.5 hours, then turned up to 225 and wrapped in foil. Started around 8:30 am. At 3:30 IT was at 180, left to feed cows and tend to new calves, came back at 5 and fire had burned out. IT was down to 135. Refilled the pellets and started the grill again, only bumped it to 250. IT is still at 135.

Should I do anything? Keep cooking till 190-200 and check for ease of penetration?

Also had a salmon on for 3 hours on smoke and turned out wonderful. Have some pics of the initial smoking, but the kids had the salmon demolished before I got back from foiling the brisket so no pics of the finished fish.

FLBentRider

I think you will fine. I would keep cooking.

If you are paranoid about how long it was under 140F, then throw it out, but I wouldn't if it was me.

Big Poppa

Administrator
have you foiled? or did you foil...once its in foil and you have issues just put it in the oven to finish...if you didnt then foil and finish in the oven

regency

so here are some pics

View attachment 1183

View attachment 1185

View attachment 1184

View attachment 1182

Turned out as good as can be expected especially for my first. A little dry. BP... I had already foiled. I just got the pot going again and set it at 250. We had an unbelievably warm February day (55 normally we are below zero) and I had my P setting set for those colder temps. So the BBQ temp was up around 300 but it still didnt finish until around 7:30. Maybe should have been in a little longer as the probe didnt push in as easily as it sounds it should. I guess I will have to just try again :D!

Thanks for the input.

PS I would post these in the contest but dont want to be embarrassed! Maybe with a little more practice then I will break out some of my good beef!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Brisket is just a tough one. I believe that most people trim too much of the fat off. I dont even bother to cook the trimmed flats. I also believe that most people foil way to late in the cook. When you get your deep mahoghany with a little black FOIL. Some do it two hours into the cook some four. Im in the two hour category due to the cooker I use for comps. The other big mistake is having too cmuch air in the foil...creating the number one enemy Steam. I know of no restaurant the serves steamed beef. The third tip I can give you is a water pan. I use one when I cook briskets...on the MAK i put it on the gril level and cook the brisket on the shelf.

Top Bottom