Help me find a pellet smoker that isn't too small...

Bithlord

So, I've been cooking BBQ for about 3 years now on an offset smoker (stick burner) that was made by a local guy out of a 50 gallon drum sideways with an offset firebox - for all of $250. It was an insane deal since it was the guy's first time making one. He has since raised his prices.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a pellet smoker anywhere between $1500 and $2500 but everything I can find is too small. When I use the current smoker I frequently am using the entire grate and cooking for 30+ people. Are there any decent manufacturers out there that do a pellet smoker that is close in size to what I can get from the sideways 50 gallon drum?

For reference, the most important factor to me in a pellet smoker is the quality of the controller. If I'm going to have to babysit the fire the entire time anyway, I may as well have a stick burner where I get to actually play with fire.

Suggestions?

Mmmmm

Best I can think of is for you to buy a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper assembly and install it in your existing stick burner. If your offset is typical you could most likely install it on the opposite end as your fire box giving you both options in the same cooker.

That would also be your cheapest option. This will only be good for low and slow as the burner won't have the BTU's to get that size vessel very hot.

Salmonsmoker

I don't know how many sq. in. your drum has, but you might check out the MAK 2 star general. With the second rack it has quite a large cooking area. Best controller out there too. Check out Big Poppa's website attached to this forum.(he funds it) Call and talk to him. He won't steer you wrong.

TentHunter

Don't let the size of that drum fool you when comparing to other grills. A typical drum is 23" Dia x 35" H, making the cooking surface area 22.5" x 34" or 867 sq. inches.

I think you gave a good clue as to what the answer should be:
For reference, the most important factor to me in a pellet smoker is the quality of the controller.

Hands down, there is NO better controller on the market than the Pellet Boss. As far as actual cooking area, again don't be fooled by the Drum's size:
  • The Mak 1 Star, with the upper grate, has a cooking surface area of 560 sq in.
  • The Mak 2 Star, with the upper grate, has a cooking surface area of 858 sq in. (almost identical to your drum).

Plus the 2 Star offers features you are just not going to find on other pellet grills.

I think the 2 Star is what you're looking for.

jimsbarbecue

I think TentHunter has done the math that shows Pellet Grills like the MAK 2 Star with the second rack has close to the same space. The MAK controllers are the best I have used and for reference I have used Traegers, GMG and Blaz'n Grills and Royal grills.

Top Bottom