Hi, My name is Phredd and I'm a Smokeaholic

fjstratman

Hi, glad to be here. I'm kind of in a quandery, not sure what's keeping me from stepping forward to buy a pellet grill. Over Analysis Paralysis could be it. Maybe the experts here can assist.

Traeger - love it, I see a lot of them at contests, thinking about a Texas grill
Louisiana - WH1705 seems perfect, two chambers, one for big meats, one for small, big capacity
Green Mountain - doesn't seem much different than the Traeger other than you can add a wifi control

I like the Texas best I think, what I need is something that heats quickly, and that I can do chicken thighs and ribs in small quantity (4 racks of ribs) (20 thighs).

What I'm curious about is the actual capacity on the Traeger, I see in other forums that there's cold spots, and that the addition of the second rack doesn't really perform as advertised.

Anybody have any input? Any downfalls with using this particular unit? Thanks in advance for your input.

F

scooter

Welcome to PS.com!

I'm not certain GMG has WiFi control yet. I know they have a remote control (Bluetooth), just not WiFi (the ability to control a pit through a smart mobile device from anywhere a cellular signal can be received). I'm relatively certain MAK is the only company offering WiFi control on their pellet cookers (ETA December 2012).
I owned a Traeger Lil Tex and aside from some of it's minor design flaws, I enjoyed it and learned a lot from using it. I ended up having it for 4 months before selling it for a bit of a loss in order to upgrade to the 2 Star General which I still have 2 years later and have NO intentions of ever selling. Had I known ahead of time that pellet cooking would be so enjoyable I would not have purchased an entry level pellet cooker first like a Traeger or GMG. Would have been handy to have someone around back in 2009 to advise me to buy the best and only cry once. :)
Do your research and buy the best you can afford.

So Cal Smoker

Welcome to the forum, please, please, take Scooters advise. Take your time, ask alot of questions and do the homework. As Scooter said, "Only Cry Once". Good luck and good smoking.

fjstratman

Thank you gentlemen. I certainly appreciate your advice. Scooter, if you don't mind me asking, what made you decide on the 2 Star? I wasn't aware of that brand/model. Thanks!

MossyMO

Glad you joined us Phredd!
Research all brands till you find a model that fits your cooking style needs and budget; and also make sure you get a brand well known for their customer service... MAK, Memphis, RecTec, Yoder, Traeger, Fast Eddy, Green Mountain, Louisiana, Grilla, Blaz'n Grill, Royal, Bob Grillson, etc.

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum, from N.E. Ohio.

Like the others said, do your homework and get a quality grill that you know you will want to use.

Like scooter, we're perfectly happy with the MAK grill we have. In addition to a rock solid grill with great customer service, we liked the versatility of options offered.

CDN Smoker

This is my first post on this site.
I am currently a traeger owner and after much trials and tribulations I can produce an eatable product. Where I live there are only a few smokers so I can only learn from sites like this. My main advice would be is research all brands but focus on what will give you the best temperature control. If the smoker of your choice cannot maintain whatever temperature you input then your product will not turnout.
My next choice will be a MAK but as it was commented earlier buy the best you can afford.
Take Care,
CDN Smoker

scooter

Scooter, if you don't mind me asking, what made you decide on the 2 Star? I wasn't aware of that brand/model. Thanks!

Back in Dec2009 the 2 Star was the only model offered by MAK. MAK had finished testing on the pilot 2 Stars, design changes were made and in late December2009 was rolling into production. I looked at the laundry list of innovative features the 2 Star had.
  • The pellet hopper design, unlike the Lil Tex, was designed to allow ALL of the pellets to flow into the auger.
  • The pellet quick dump/change
  • The warming tray/cold smoker
  • The ash clean out door in the bottom of the cooker
  • The upper rack doubling my cooking space to 858 sq inches
  • The FlameZone for grilling
  • And most impressive was the PelletBoss! The most innovative controller on the market then and, I believe, now. Soon to be WiFi controlled which is another innovative feature for a pellet cooker manufacturer. No other pellet pit manufacturer that I know of offers WiFi control of their pellet cooker. The GMG offer RF control from a distance of 100' max (earlier I said it was Bluetooth but it's RF). MAK's new WiFi will let you control your cooker from the golf course, the shopping mall, from China! Literally anywhere you can get a cellular phone signal you'll be able to control your MAK cooker with your smart phone using a MAK app!

Can you tell I not only love my MAK cooker but most importantly, of all those features I listed, is the way Bob Tucker and all his employees at MAK Grills stands behind their product LONG after the purchase has been made. You will not find another company that will give you better customer service than MAK Grills and Big Poppa Smokers! Period!

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial but I'm very passionate about my General and the way MAK Grills has taken care of their grill owners. I can also say that about Big Poppa Smokers who has gone well beyond what would be considered great customer service but has achieved the level of outstanding customer service AFTER the purchase has been made, that you rarely experience or even hear about.

Do your homework and buy the best cooker you can afford (MAK, Memphis etc) from the dealer who will take the best care of you before, during, and most importantly, After the sale.
For me, and MANY others on this forum, that narrows the choice down to one dealer...BPS.

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Welcome , I too purchased a entry level pit and then got a MAK 2 Star. In fact we own two MAK 2 Star grills (we have large parties). Everything Scooter mention above I echo. I wished you lived closed I would let you borrow one of our grills and you would be hooked.
Bob and the folks at MAK are always testing innovation changes. Lets just say their attention to detail you would not believe. I could MAKe this post longer ,lets leave it at we are very passionate about out MAK grills.

PS the MAK one star has most the same features in a little smaller unit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom