How do you like to finish your ribs?

Pappymn

Happy with my rib results lately. Been putting a glaze on then setting the glaze. Been thinking I should hit them one more time with rub at the end. Does that over power the ribs flavor? I like the rub in the background, but I almost think I would like a little more salt flavor. I do put the rub on pretty heavy, at least I think I do.

Last edited:

muebe

One time Sparky tried layering flavors and was not happy with the results.

You could always salt your ribs at the end to get more of a salt flavor but I think adding more rub at the end might overpower it if strong flavored. The happy ending rub is a nice light flavor that works good ;)

Chili Head

Happy ending is good and I've been using it more often. I don't season again at the end because I don't like the graininess of rubs that hasn't dissolved. If I season more than once it's always at least an hour before the meat is done. If you foil your ribs add more rub when they come out of the foil.

Last edited:

Big_Jake

Yeah I agree with Chili as well,I have never done it but I bet you would get a grainy texture if you put some on at the end.

scooter

For a finishing rub I use smokin guns hot rub (BP carries it, it's a great all purpose rub) and process it in my magic bullet (any spice grinder or coffee grinder will work just as good) until it is a fine powder then place that into a Cambro shaker like the one below. When I sauce my ribs I give it a light sprinkling of the powderized smokin guns rub over the top then set the sauce. As soon as the powderized rub hits the sauce, it's disolved.
If you can't grind your own, BP has a nice finishing rub that's already been mentioned called Happy Endings.
If I don't want to sauce my ribs sometimes I'll glaze with just honey. It adds a nice sweetness, a beautiful glisten and doesn't mask the flavor of the rub and smoke.

4UKE7_AS01

Last edited:

TentHunter

Sometimes I go for dry ribs (rub only, no glaze), but usually I like to add some kind of glaze that compliments the overall flavor profile I'm going after.

If you're happy with your results, except for salt, I suggest simply adding a light sprinkling of salt to your ribs before putting on the rub. I would measure it out first, say 1/2 tsp. per rack, so you can duplicate/adjust next time.

soupyjones

Most of the best tips are already here. I don't use a glaze in the sense of a sweet sauce. I use the juice from my FL time with the fat skimmed off to re moisten my ribs in the last half hour or so. If you wanted more salt or any other flavour, you could add it to the FL drippings.

wneill20

I don't finish my ribs until the last ten minutes of the cook like everyone else reseason an sauce of your choice

Top Bottom