How to convert gas grill temperature terminology

ht01us

I often see recipes for gas 2 zone grilling that I want to convert to use on my Mak 2 Star. A typical direction for setting up the 2 zone is this:
Turn all burners to high. Heat with lid down until very hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s).​

or, it may say "Leave the primary burner on medium and turn off other burners"

The first part is easy enough; crank the MAK up to high for 15 minutes. What would you recommend for the PB setting to match leaving the "primary burner on high".

My guess is for "high" is a grill temperature in the 350 - 375 range. For medium I'm thinking 275 - 300.

Have any of you made that type of translation in the past?

So Cal Smoker

First you have to know what temps your Grill is putting out. Each Gas Grill puts out a different amount of heat. Weber my put out 500* with one burner going while a Char Broil my put out 300*. You're going to have to do some homework on your grill.

ht01us

First you have to know what temps your Grill is putting out. Each Gas Grill puts out a different amount of heat. Weber my put out 500* with one burner going while a Char Broil my put out 300*. You're going to have to do some homework on your grill.

It's not an actual gas grill I'm trying to compare with. It's an attempt to work with a published recipe that describes a virtual gas grill set up.

Top Bottom