How to take ribs on a houseboat trip?

Canyonier

We will soon be going on a houseboat trip and everyone is responsible for a meal or two.
I plan to take a couple of slabs of beef ribs (prime rib bones) and a couple of slabs of pork spareribs. I'll cook the ribs in my pellet grill ahead of time.
We will leave home on a Wednesday morning and the ribs dinner won't be untill Saturday evening.
I plan to take with me a portable refrigerator/freezer. That means it can be either a freezer or a refrigerator but not both at the same time.
On the houseboat we will have a propane grill and that is where I'll need to reheat the ribs.
So, should I freeze the ribs or just refrigerate them?
Should I wrap them in foil or in a plastic wrap?
Should I leave them as slabs or should I cut into individual ribs?
The next question is how to reheat the ribs on the propane grill?
Please think about this and give me some suggestions.
Thanks,
Glenn

Kite

Hey Glenn,

If it were me, I would refrigerate the ribs and server them cold. I think they are almost as good cold as they are hot. Just my opinion of course..

HoDeDo

Freeze them, unless you can cryovac them and keep them under 40 degrees at all times.
Otherwise, film wrap, then foil. Freeze the slabs whole. Also, if you typically sauce them, don't. do any "finishing" when you have them on the grill.

Thaw, then unwrap, and place into fresh foil.
Warm over low heat (they are cooked, so you dont want to dry them out.)
Once warmed through, finish them as you normally would (i.e. sauce or glaze?) then, slice and serve.

Top Bottom