Howdy... My name is George, and I am a newbie... using pellets in non-pellet smoker

georgevk4853

Hello everyone,

I have a regular barrel smoker with chimney on one end and displaced firebox on the other end. The outside is 'broken in'... ie, nice and rusted and the smoker has been used alot over the past several years. I have grilled (direct heat), and smoked, indirect heat with wood chunks. The hardest part is constantly babysitting the smoker and maintaining ideal temperatures.

This is why I joined PelletSmoking. I want to learn techniques where I can use my current smoker (I am unemployed and cannot afford a new pellet smoker) with pellets, that will hopefully allow me to do extremely low and slow (165-180 deg. for 14-16 hrs) with less constant babysitting and more reliable temp control.

Is this possible? I invite responses from any and all!

George :cool:

MossyMO

Glad you joined us George, welcome!
Best bang for your buck on a budget for steady overnight smoking temps would be a home made vertical barrel smoker. Looking around you can sometimes find the barrel and miscellaneous parts for cheap or free ( Google UDS Smoker); or at least find a free barrel and order Big Poppa's Drum Smoker Kit - https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit Very economical to build and use and they run very steady temps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom