I get my first Mak tomorrow!

jbentham84

I'm fairly new to this whole thing and have only had a Bradley Original Smoker. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my new Mak 1 star. I've been struggling with the decision but I think the 2 star is just out of my price range for someone who's as new to it as I am. Plus I'm getting an exceptional deal on 1 star so it's really hard to pass up. It's the brand new model as well. I'm heading down tomorrow morning to pick it up and I can't decide if there's anything I NEED to get with it. I was going to get the upper half grate and then add on as I go. If I'm missing anything I really should have with it please let me know. I'm pretty stoked to get this so if you have any advice/tips etc I'm all ears!

scooter

Welcome to PS.com and welcome to the MAK family! I'd get two upper half racks that way you could have as whole or half upper rack as you needed it. I cook everything on the upper rack and only use the lower grate for overflow from the upper.

So Cal Smoker

Congrats Jbentham84, today is going to be a very special day for you, one you'll not forget. Take a lot of pictures and share the love with all your friends and the fine folks here. Scooter has given you some great advice, I hope you take it. Good luck and good smoking.

Bill

mcschlotz

Don't forget the fuel! IMO, BBQ'ers Delight any type. Congrats & welcome to the MAK family, you're going to love it!

jbentham84

The first batch of food turned out amazing. Probably the most moist chicken I've ever had. I did 3 racks of baby backs, 12 homemade venison sausages, and 1 spachcooked bacon and garlic stuffed chicken. The only issue I has is I had the grill at 235 and over the whole cook it never got over 220 (according to the pellet boss). If I set the temp to a certain temp unless there some external circumstances like snow or something shouldn't it hold it there? Or at least closer then 15 degrees away?

Last edited:

jbentham84

I cooked on it both days this weekend for two different groups of people. The ribs on the second day I have to say were probably the best ribs I've ever had in my life. The chicken on both days was the most moist chicken I've ever eaten. This grill is an absolute winner.

iFCoq3JpmmM9C.jpg

i8JutIWrYH4oe.jpg

iTPKz9GtChSm7.jpg

iblrHlOUxTRnX9.jpg

i3Wd19rWOWIWy.jpg

ixMKKN43nqTzB.jpg

iy8Xa68sG9Mrt.jpg

ibpgZfPEHaoPiS.jpg

iOwZIiEhimLoX.jpg

iqkUdvMGmS4Es.jpg

ibe6pY4tgiJ07t.jpg

scooter

Fairly new?? Holy moly!!
That is without a doubt the best pic of a first cook I've seen! She's quite well brokin in now! Well done!

jbentham84

Thanks for the words Scooter. I've cooked ribs in my little OBS but never had the real deal. I did these overnight with some Memphis dust on the ribs and a chicken rub I stole from somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head). I was shocked as to just how good it came out. I mean literally shocked. Also if you haven't tried it yet, the Mak Honey Stinger is one of the best sauces I've had. If the rest taste anywhere near that one they have a winning line. I would highly recommend a bottle

scooter

Yes, I've tried all of the MAK sauces. Honey Stinger is my fav with their Rum sauce coming in a close 2nd.

Top Bottom