I make my own...

soupyjones

I am a bit of a freak for making my own rubs and sauces. Now I have this delusion that I can make condiments too. My most recent half disaster was home made mustard. I was wondering what everyone else makes for themselves. Who has a cool home made product I can shamelessly rip off?

TentHunter

I make:
- Most of my own rubs
- All of my BBQ sauces
- Sausage & Sausage spice mixes (fresh & smoked)
- Mustard (Occasionally)
- Mayonnaise (way better than store bought)
- Most of my own meat/soup stocks (Kitchen Basics I can use)
- Gravy & other various sauces
- Taco seasoning

Of course, a lot of it is due to allergies. But that's ok. I eat well! :cool:

Big_Jake

I make my own:
Rubs
BBQ sauce
And I grow tomatoes int he back yard,then use them to make a ketchup style base for the sauce.It's pretty tasty.

I buy all my rubs because it is so easy with BPS! Would love to make my own sauces but I have't tried yet. I just haven't found something I really like yet.

soupyjones

Treedemom I sadly do not have a sure fire sauce recipie that I can share. I have been messing with tomato based sauces for years and they have all been bad. I don't use enough sweet to balance out the other stuff I put in. If you are making a pulled pork a spicy vinegar sauce is easy and really tasty. Just put some vinegar(any kind) in a pot with some sugar(any kind) and some chili flakes. Add whatever spices you like and warm it up a bit. Let it cool and enjoy. I know that is not a great deal of help but for now it is the best I can do.

Carter13

The nice thing about making your own sauce is when guests ask where did you get this sauce? You can answer why I made it, with a smile. :)
You just can't put a price on a fantastic home made sauce and the fun of it is tweeking with ingredients to get it just right.

Kite

The nice thing about making your own sauce is when guests ask where did you get this sauce? You can answer why I made it, with a smile. :)
You just can't put a price on a fantastic home made sauce and the fun of it is tweeking with ingredients to get it just right.

I know exactly what you mean Carter. I turn pens on my lathe and have had people say "you can buy a pen for 79 cents, why do you spend all that time making one". To which I reply " when was the last time you pulled out a 79 cent pen and said "I made this""? It's about living life, not about what you can buy that someone else made..

Top Bottom