I'm Back and Smokin', Part 1

ACW3

Well, I decided it was time to try to cook a full meal now that my arm is out of the sling. I wanted to do something a bit different. With one arm in a sling, I had lots of web time to look for ideas. Here is what I came up with.

First off, I wanted to make some shrimp and pork meatballs with an Asian flair, but smoked. I remember my wife taking a Chinese cooking class when I was stationed in Hawaii. She made shrimp meatballs that I still remember. I thought I would give it a try.
First off, here are the raw shrimp ready to be thrown into the food processor.

IMG_7245.jpg

Next is two more of the ingredients to go into the processor—lime zest and chopped green onion.

IMG_7246.jpg

You can’t make meatballs without some “poke”.

IMG_7247.jpg

Here’s what it looks like after a whirl through the food processor. The mixture is ready to form the meatballs and then be put into the smoker.

IMG_7248.jpg

I wanted to do something different when smoking them. My sister gave me a stove top smoker a few years back as a Christmas present. It uses saw dust as its source of smoke. I used a little cherry saw dust and added some apple pellets.

IMG_7256.jpg

Here are the shrimp meatballs ready to be hit with some smoke.

IMG_7258.jpg

This is what the stove top smoker looks like on the, wait for it, stove top!

IMG_7259.jpg

The smoked shrimp meatballs nearing the end of their journey.
IMG_7262.jpg

The plated shrimp meatballs served with some Thai chili sauce. They were even better than I remembered.

IMG_7255.jpg

Now that the appetizer is out of the way, it’s time to get the rest of the meal together. Check out part 2.

Art

TentHunter

Creative use of pellets. I've always wondered how well they'd work in a stove top smoker.

Glad you're back Art!

ACW3

Actually, most of the smoke stays in the smoker. Just to be on the safe side, I had the vent fans on high. Not a problem. One of the things I did notice is that if you leave whatever you are smoking in the smoker too long, you will get a very pronounced smoke flavor. About 15 minutes for those meatballs was all it took and then into the oven to finish.

If you don't clean the smoker right away, your kitchen will smell like you have been smoking in the house. Personal experience speaking. You do have to be careful when disposing the ashes. That was part of the reason I waited. The other part, I was tired and decided wait until the next day.

Now I am trying to identify some other foods to do an initial smoking on before finishing in the oven. I would think the stove top smoker would be really good for infusing smoke flavor into sauces since it does it so quickly. We'll see.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
yeah trapped smoke can get funky...Great smoke flavor is created by air flow...pellet cookers have their fans Jambos have their draw reverse flow it is all about new smoke moving around the food....Im not sure I m a fan of the stove top smokers but your food may make me one! Gopopd to see you back and cooking!

scooter

Art, dipping into the sweet chili sauce sounds great to me! Nice cook! Gonna try them with some stir fried veggies and chow mein noodles.

ACW3

Scooter,
Another idea from a friend of mine was to get some low mein noodles, mix a nice "gravy" to warm the meatballs and make Chinese spaghetti. Now to find a good "gravy" recipe...

Art

Top Bottom