I'm back (with a new Rec Tec on the way), sorry for the absence.

BBQ Bill

Well, I'm back & thanks for the welcome. I had to take over more duties in my business so I'm sorry I haven't had much internet time. Unfortunately I now have less employees so more responsibilities. The good news though is, I stepped up from my Traeger Jr to a new Rec Tec, it's scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I have to break it in that day & cook at least 4 racks of ribs friday morning to take to Phoenix for a family get together. Even though I have a ton of work on my plate, I hope to be around more.

BBQ Bill

I've got a few cooks on it now. 5 racks of ribs, chicken, jalapeno poppers, grilled steak and all I can say is, this thing is awesome. Even with a 40 degree swing in ambient temp, the smoker stayed within 2 degrees of the set temp for the 6 hours I cooked. Another nice feature is a button to manually feed pellets. This allows you to feed a few pellets & raise the temp slightly before opening the smoker to check on your food. The quality of this smoker is top notch from top to bottom, IMHO you can't beat this unit for any price. As far as customer service goes, the guys at Rec Tec are a great bunch. I feel like I've made some new friends there. Anyway, here are some pix.
405153558.jpg

3 of the 5 racks, everyone enjoyed them to the last bite.
405153563.jpg

405271418.jpg

Who says you can't grill on a pellet smoker. I set it to 450, once it was preheated I put the steak on for 5 minutes, gave it a 1/4 turn and another 5 minutes. Flipped it & did the same. It turned out better than any steak of the same cut of meat I've ever made. Juicy as you can get.
405254876.jpg

405271421.jpg

Last edited:

BBQ Bill

I'm tellin ya, I want to cook on it every day. ( I have for the last 4 days) LOML works nights so a guy's gotta eat & no messy kitchen 8-D

Thought I'd mention, a 40 lb hopper means you can go a long time w/o adding pellets. I would guess I've cooked for around 16 hrs so far, anywhere from 225 degrees to 450 and I've still got enough pellets for another few hrs at least.

Last edited:

BBQ Bill

Tucson AZ, 30 miles from water......3 feet from hell. Last night we went down to 26 degrees, the high will be around 48 degrees. Very rare for it to go below 30. I have to be at a Car Audio competition tomorrow at 8:00am, it'll be around 28 degrees at sign up. Not use to this kind of weather. Brrrr

Last edited:

BBQ Bill

11:00PM here now & it's already 30 degrees. Suppose to go down to 26 tonight. We finished the GMC trucks system we built so I'll be in the cold tomorrow morning. Wish I could grill there. 8-D The show is at a place called HotRods, it's owned by the mars candy bar people. 17 million dollar hot rod shop/ restaurant/bar. In the bar & restaurant, there are window walls all the way down one side where you can look down into the hot rod shop. Place is awesome but I need to teach them how to BBQ. LOL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom